Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merrick Bank - Charge Off Because of Returned Payments

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Merrick Bank - Charge Off Because of Returned Payments

Moving thread to 'General Credit' for additional feedback...

Message 31 of 39
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Billing related issues on credit cards are subject to the much more comprehensive dispute process under the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA).

It is preferable to the simple verification of credit reporting dispute process under the FCRA if the issue is a billing related matter on a credit card.

Have you considered a dispute under the FCBA?

Message 32 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

alyvmo12- How did this matter play out for you? I just had this happen to me. I contacted the CFPB, BBB and the credit bureau that sent the alert regarding the charge off to my bank. Based on the results from those complaints, I will contact the appropriate States Attorneys if needed. It is absolutely not legal to charge off an account due to only a returned payment. Merrick can close your account for reasons set forth in the contract terms or any updated terms, but an account operating under a company licensed to do business in the United States cannot charge off an account due to a returned payment. Charge off, in the federal sense regarding financial laws, is a protection for businesses when they suffer losses due to lack of payment. The IRS allows the business to include these types of accounts in their losses total which result in less tax. If Merrick reports your account as a loss, they are committing financial fruad under federal law.  

Message 33 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I contacted CFPB who threw me to the FDIC who told me their hands were tied. I have written letters to any and everyone. A whole year with a torched score. Let me know if anything pans out with you.
Message 34 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems to me if any CCC does something like this over a mere one payment. They deserved to be dropped, and never look back!

Mistakes happen. What if we sued them for every data breach etc.?

I only takes a simple incident like this to ruin things for the consumer, yet big comanies do nefarious things all the time and are almost never held accountable. 

Message 35 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

To fix your problem, get a letter from your bank that says the payments were returned due to an issue with your billpay. Send that letter and a new complaint to the BBB. Your problem should be fixed within 30 days, and your credit history should be updated with all three credit bureaus within 60 days. If that does not work for you, let me know.  

CFPB forwarded my complaint to the FTC, like they did yours, and the FTC never reached out to me in any way shape or form. The credit bureau Experian did not respond until after the problem was fixed, and I will go into detail as to how the problem was fixed. However, before going into how the problem was fixed, I will also mention that some rude man in customer service with the credit bureau told me that the credit bureua reports what a creditor tells them to report, and they do not verify with the creditor if what the creditor wants them to report can legally be reported or not.

Back to how the problem was fixed, it was through my BBB complaint. After submitting the complaint to them, I was immediately contacted by a corporate office for the credit card company. The credit card company is Credit One Bank. This is after I mailed two letters to what was supposed to be the corporate office. For over a month, I was told by customer service and collections that the letter was not received, and I was made to think that I could only speak with someone from customer service or collections. My account was in collections even though I never had a late payment, it was there because my account was charged off due to the returned payment. The corporate office tells me the account was charged off to protect me. They said they close accounts due to returned payments, but to guarantee protection for Credit One Bank and the customer, they have to charge off the account.

I was told all I needed to do was submit a letter from the bank that said the payment was not returned due to insufficient funds, and all changes made would be reversed. I mentioned that I had already written two letters that included a letter from my bank. I was finally told those letters were received but were under review. I was told the representatives who I spoke with from customer service and collections did not give me correct information, and that would be addresssed appropriately but that they could say no more due to company policy. I was also told that I could not receive an explanation why the account was charged off because that is confidential company information, but when I explained that reporting an account as charged off when there have been no payments more than 30 days late is a federal offense, I received the ridiculous explanation that the account had to be charged off to protect me.

That is where I am now, and I will update as I get confirmation that Credit One Bank and Merrick Bank cannot charge off accounts just because a payment was returned. The credit bureaus have no way of reporting an account as charged off without also reporting the account as late. Because of this, creditors cannot report an account as charged off to protect themselves and borrowers due to a returned payment unless a payment was at least more than 30 days late. The FCRA says that an account cannot be reported late unless a payment was more than 30 days late. Charge off is a late payment reporting status only. 

Message 36 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Janus, you are right. I had two accounts with Credit One Bank. I closed one, and I will be closing the other within the year. 

Message 37 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to add, the BBB complaint should be against the credit card company. Also, you might have to write a letter to your bank's corporate office to get the letter that you need unless your bank's corporate office has a phone number or email. Tell me the bank, and I should be able to get you contact information for their corporate office is you cannot find or get it. The people who answer phones and emails for your bank will most likely not know what to do to help you. However, true banking and finance professionals work at banking corporate offices. They will know what to do and will do it.  

Message 38 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Merrick bank is notorious for this kind of action.  They will charge off accounts for any reason at all, even a single missed payment.  Then they pay for positive reviews all over consumer banking websites.  Another vile tactic of theirs, once they charge off an account and have turned it over for collections they will continue to report it monthly which is not abnormal however, they will report the balance $1 lower month to month in order to maximize the hit on the score each month so the account will never age correctly with the three reporting agencies.  This exposes the greatest flaw in this scam called FICO scores, noone is regulating oversight on the information provided by the original creditors.  They can literally make stuff up as they go along and when disputed, the only action necessary by the reporting agenicies is to say "is what you're reporting accurate" to the lender.  Once they answer yes, that's it, no recourse.  This among many other resons is why credit scores aren't work the paper or screen they're printed on.  Useless and full of ongoing inacurracies with almost zero comsumer recourse.  It's a "trus the lender" system in a banking world full of corrupt lenders like Merrick Bank.

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.