Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed uses this FICO score

tag
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: PenFed uses this FICO score

@maceto wrote:
Turned me down, to recent apps/cards little history etc. so I am now refinancing auto's with my local at 1.65% as up 7500 on both cars. So happy to bring it down from 2.6%. Saves me a few dollars a year (also a principle to pay as little as possible) Upped my Discover (SP) to 5500, Barclay's to 7500 (HP) as only 20 days since they gave me an auto CLI. Citi up from 15 to 25K. My local credit union (where refinance autos - will call me on the cash back cc in less than 30 min) So goodbye Penfed and hello to the rest!

Sorry to hear that.

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 61 of 74
Pashanla
Established Member

That is what I used to think too! However, I took a chance and appied in May, actually made my firtst post about it.

I was approved for the Signature card with a $50,000 limit. 4 of my accounts were opened 10 months to a year ago, 1- 60 day(bogus) late, Utilization was about 21%, EQ fico about 715. I only had a savings account opened for about a year with only $5.00. I appled when I opened the account and was denied.  I was fully expecting to be denied again, so yes I am still in shock. Point is you never really know, YMMV!

Penfed Platinum 50k / Amex Delta 12.7k / Chase Marriot 12k / Discover IT 11.5k / Venture One 10k / Ebates 20k / Total Rewards Visa 10.3k / Sams MC 15k / Walmart MC 10k / Chase Southwest 7.5k / Sallie Mae 7.8 K / Paypal SC 5k / Amazon 6k / Gettington 4.3k / USAA 4k / Victoria Secret 2.5k /Barclay rewards 2k / Quicksilver 2.5k / Quicksilver 1.5k / Cap one platinum 1k /
Amex Blue 1k / Paypal Bml 1.5k

Equifax: 706 / Experian 707 / Transunion 729
Message 62 of 74
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: NEW!!!! Penfed Now Offers FREE FICO SCORES!!!!!!

@longtimelurker wrote:

No, it is a true FICO.  Look for NextGen in for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_score_in_the_United_States

The NextGen Score is a scoring model designed by the FICO company for assessing consumer credit risk. This score was introduced in 2001, in 2003 the second generation of NextGen was released.n 2004, FICO research showed a 4.4% increase in the number of accounts above cutoff while simultaneously showing a decrease in the number of bad, charge-off and Bankrupt accounts when compared to FICO traditional.[11] FICO NextGen score is between 150 and 950

There it lists other names used by issuers for this score.

Penfed says that THIS is the score they use for managing the account, which means, even if FICO weren't involved, it wouldn't be a FAKO!

I am reminded that Liz Weston once wrote that "it flopped because it had a different numerical range (150 to 950) that would have required lenders to revamp their underwriting systems and software."

Message 63 of 74
maceto
Contributor

My score was 685 vs a fico (scorewatch) at 783! So clearly something they are not happy with on my file!
Message 64 of 74
maceto
Contributor

If used their weighting, I would have a fico score of 620.. Or thereabouts
Message 65 of 74
boireann
Regular Contributor

I hadn't logged into the online account for a couple of weeks.  was very surprised to see this.  I like it.  Even if it isn't the standard scoring models.  It is still helpful.  Gave me a score of 861.

01/07 scores: Too scared to find out after looking at my free CRA reports
03/08 scores: TU: 660 EQ: 646 EX: 624
09/09 scores: TU: 735 EQ: 778 EX: ???
02/10 scores: TU: 779 EQ: 801 EX: 798 (home loan officer pull)
03/14 scores: TU 799 EQ: 809 EX: 817 (car loan credit union pull)
All that hard work paid off!!!! I'm now a happy home owner with an awesome interest rate!

CC Limits Garden Amex Clear $23000, USAA World Amex $15000, USAA Wold MasterCard $15000, BECU Visa $10,000, PenFed Visa $15000. Took a long time to get nice limits and low interest from that first app to BECU for $500 when I first started cleaning up my reports.
Message 66 of 74
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@boireann wrote:

I hadn't logged into the online account for a couple of weeks.  was very surprised to see this.  I like it.  Even if it isn't the standard scoring models.  It is still helpful.

True that, in actuality any lender which is taking advantage of the FICO Open Access program is a good thing, regardless of my personal opinions regarding the particular score in question Smiley Happy

        
Message 67 of 74
VinnyofLegend
Contributor

Has anyone had a score update yet?...if if it was every 3 months it should have updated by now. Also Q4 is about to start, I imagine they'd soft pull in the next few days for Q4 pre-approvals.

Message 68 of 74
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@VinnyofLegend wrote:

Has anyone had a score update yet?...if if it was every 3 months it should have updated by now. Also Q4 is about to start, I imagine they'd soft pull in the next few days for Q4 pre-approvals.

No updates yet. My score was 883 and pulled on 05/27/2014. My mom's score was 906 and pulled on 05/27/2014. My dad's score was 905 and pulled on 05/27/2014.

Message 69 of 74
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

No update as of today.  IIRC we really don't have an established track record for PenFed's updates on this score since the current score is the first one provided.

Message 70 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.