Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plastic Surgery?

tag
TULO30
Contributor

Plastic Surgery?

I am currently 27K in debt.  This debt includes my car, student loan and $5000 in credit card debt.  I have no money in savings except for retirement. I would like to have a breast reduction which will add an additional $4000 to my current total debt (part of the cost of the surgery will be paid for in cash).
I have a plan that would allow me to pay off all of my debt over the next 12-15 months.

Why surgery? Well, my breasts are basically too large for my body. I have always had large breasts and started development early and it has always been a concern for me since puberty. I have difficulty buying certain clothes, poor posture, etc.

So, my question is...given my current debt, and lack of savings, do you think it is a good time to have this surgery? Thank you for your advice!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Plastic Surgery?

Well, do you think it's the right time should be the question. If you were talking about a breast enlargement just because then I would have a different opinion. I know that breasts that are too large can cause many health problems and a lot of pain. My god sister had a reduction and the indentions and cuts on her shoulders from her bras are already starting to fade. Not to mention the disappearance of major back pain. So, IMHO if you think this is best for you HEALTH then I would say, have it done. With a repayment plan in mind.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Part of this might get paid by insuance if your doctor can convience them it is medicaly needed-

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have health insurance? I'm assuming you haven't looked into that already, but you might talk to your doctor about pursuing that avenue.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much time will you have to take off from work? Can you afford to take off, since you have no savings? I think you should evaluate the whole picture first and not worry about your scores.

I agree with others, if you have med ins you may be able to get some of that covered.

My step mother had this procedure that was covered by her insurance. She was off for 2 months, but she has my dad to take up the slack, if needed.
Message 5 of 16
braznyc
Frequent Contributor

Most breast reductions are covered by your health care insurance, because they consider it "reconstructive" and it's not really in the idea of "plastic/cosmetic" surgery, and it helps if it's being done to relieve a medical condition, like back pain etc. If you don't have health insurance, I would look into the state funded ones, they might have ones for adults in your state. This will be cheaper than taking out a loan.

Your recovery time will depend on your medical history. My cousin was back to work a week later, she couldn't do any heavy lifting for 6 weeks. But again that's something you and your surgeon would have to discuss.

Also you say you have a plan? Is this offered by your surgeon or a finance company?

Message Edited by braznyc on 02-12-2008 11:47 AM
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

TUL, I agree with the others. You will develop health problems, over time. Maybe not until you are in your 40's or 50's, but back problems, and the constant pain will make it a requirement.

Go talk to your doctor. It's not a cosmetic procedure you're talking about. IMO it's a medical condition, that will lead to complications if left alone.

Have you considered financing the surgery through CareCredit? I don't know much about them but have seen the name listed many times on various surgeon's websites.

Good luck to you.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Care Credit they are pretty good. I also had 12 months no interest, so that would be an option aslo.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good to know jaybee. Smiley Happy

In looking at the website(I have it if anyone needs it), they can finance from 3 mos. to 60 months...Gee that almost sounds like an auto loan. lol.

What were your experiences like? Is it a Visa or M.C.? or kinda like a "store card"?

I've been thinking about an elective surgery for a while myself, and would love to know more.

TUL, sorry to hijack your thread! Smiley Sad
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's like a store card, not a major. I went to their website and you can locate doctors in your area. Once I get the nerves I will use it for my Lasik.

A lot of people have said that they couldn't get a CLI, but I doubled mine in under 5 months. I think they are pretty good so far, but that is with my experience only.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.