Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Questions

tag
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Sallie Mae Questions

Part 1:
Background:  13 accounts originated from USA Group (those have dropped off) were sold back in April 2001 to Sallie Mae.  I mismanaged them between April 2001 and Dec 2001.  In Jan 2002 I started getting my ducks in a row, bringing them current, and then consolidating.  So, Sallie Mae reports the orig 13 as "Status:  Transferred, closed/current, was past due 180 days" and Creditor's Statement "Account transferred to another lender" with Account History as "180 days late as of July 2001, 90 days late as of Dec 2001".  Other info:  Date opened 04/2001, Reported since 05/2001, date of Status 05/2002, last reported 05/2002.  Experian doesn't list a fall off date on my CR.  (On a side note Equifax lists all 13 accts as "too new to rate" and that is definitely my lowest score everywhere I look.)

Question:  Is this hurting me?  13 strikes with a switch?

Part 2:
Background:  See above. Loan activity from 04/2002 to present.  I have one late, 90 days in April 2005.  I have paid on time, used a few forbearances when times were tough, but stayed current.

Question:  My EX CR lists under Status Details "As of Jan 2012, this account is scheduled to go to a positive status."  Why so long?  I will be paying on this for the next 22 years or so if I stay on their payment plan.  All 3 CRA are also reporting that the loan is deferred until May 2009, which it most certainly is NOT.  Any ideas why it takes perfect payments from April 2005 to Jan 2012 to go to positive status?  That seems a bit harsh.

Any and all help is appreciated.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sallie Mae Questions

if 90 days late in April 2005, 7 years minus 90 days =  Jan 2012

That late will hurt alot less when it hits 2 years- and have less and less affect until it drops-
Message 2 of 10
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Timothy wrote:
if 90 days late in April 2005, 7 years minus 90 days =  Jan 2012

That late will hurt alot less when it hits 2 years- and have less and less affect until it drops-

Whew!  That's good to hear.  I'll be pulling my scores in May to close on my new house and if I haven't sold my current house, I'll be doing a refi to keep it as a rental property.

Thanks for explaining the dates to me.  I don't quite have the hang of that yet.

Thanks!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

WhirledPeasPlease wrote:
Part 1:
Background:  13 accounts originated from USA Group (those have dropped off) were sold back in April 2001 to Sallie Mae.  I mismanaged them between April 2001 and Dec 2001.  In Jan 2002 I started getting my ducks in a row, bringing them current, and then consolidating.  So, Sallie Mae reports the orig 13 as "Status:  Transferred, closed/current, was past due 180 days" and Creditor's Statement "Account transferred to another lender" with Account History as "180 days late as of July 2001, 90 days late as of Dec 2001".  Other info:  Date opened 04/2001, Reported since 05/2001, date of Status 05/2002, last reported 05/2002.  Experian doesn't list a fall off date on my CR.  (On a side note Equifax lists all 13 accts as "too new to rate" and that is definitely my lowest score everywhere I look.)

Part 2:
Background:  See above. Loan activity from 04/2002 to present.  I have one late, 90 days in April 2005.  I have paid on time, used a few forbearances when times were tough, but stayed current.

Question:  My EX CR lists under Status Details "As of Jan 2012, this account is scheduled to go to a positive status."  Why so long?  I will be paying on this for the next 22 years or so if I stay on their payment plan.  All 3 CRA are also reporting that the loan is deferred until May 2009, which it most certainly is NOT.  Any ideas why it takes perfect payments from April 2005 to Jan 2012 to go to positive status?  That seems a bit harsh.

I'll take a shot at it.

Part I:

I am convinced, although others may disagree with me, that FICO treats SLs differently than other installment accounts.  My evidence for this is purely anecdotal, but IMO it is pretty convincing.  I don't think these TLs are hurting you, and here's why:

As I mentioned to you in another thread, my soon-to-be DW is a veterinarian.  She has several SLs from vet school, and she's also done many consolidations over the years.  Her reports show 34 total accounts, and probably 15-18 of those are "transferred" (consolidated and closed) SL accounts.  Another 6-8 of them are open SLs, with a total balance around $230K.

Her MyFico reports all give her a little flag next to her total number of accounts.  She also has 4 new accounts, and a history of only 9 years. In spite of all of this, her TU is now 775.

When I play with the FICO simulator and enter her information, it estimates her score to be around 680.  BUT...when I re-enter her information and just pretend she doesn't have any SLs at all, it estimates her around 760.

So, I am convinced that SLs are treated differently by FICO than other installment accounts, and I really don't think her 18 consolidated SLs are truly being counted against her.  I would think the same would apply to yours.

Others may disagree. Smiley Happy

Part II:

Baddies stay on your report and count against you for 7 years.  So if your 90-day was in 2005, it makes sense that it would drop off in 2012.  (Although after 2 years, the negative effects supposedly lessen somewhat.)

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see Timothy beat me to it on Part II.  I started typing my last post, then had to step away for a few minutes before I came back to finish it.  Didn't mean to step on you, Timothy.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your right they don't hurt you - UNLESS YOUR LATE!!!!

cheddar wrote:

WhirledPeasPlease wrote:
Part 1:

Part 2:

I'll take a shot at it.

Part I:

I am convinced, although others may disagree with me, that FICO treats SLs differently than other installment accounts.  My evidence for this is purely anecdotal, but IMO it is pretty convincing.  I don't think these TLs are hurting you, and here's why:

As I mentioned to you in another thread, my soon-to-be DW is a veterinarian.  She has several SLs from vet school, and she's also done many consolidations over the years.  Her reports show 34 total accounts, and probably 15-18 of those are "transferred" (consolidated and closed) SL accounts.  Another 6-8 of them are open SLs, with a total balance around $230K.

Her MyFico reports all give her a little flag next to her total number of accounts.  She also has 4 new accounts, and a history of only 9 years. In spite of all of this, her TU is now 775.

When I play with the FICO simulator and enter her information, it estimates her score to be around 680.  BUT...when I re-enter her information and just pretend she doesn't have any SLs at all, it estimates her around 760.

So, I am convinced that SLs are treated differently by FICO than other installment accounts, and I really don't think her 18 consolidated SLs are truly being counted against her.  I would think the same would apply to yours.

Others may disagree. Smiley Happy

Part II:

Baddies stay on your report and count against you for 7 years.  So if your 90-day was in 2005, it makes sense that it would drop off in 2012.  (Although after 2 years, the negative effects supposedly lessen somewhat.)

Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very nice post- 
After 4 years active Duty in the USMC it's pretty tough to step on me...

cheddar wrote:
I see Timothy beat me to it on Part II.  I started typing my last post, then had to step away for a few minutes before I came back to finish it.  Didn't mean to step on you, Timothy.

Message 7 of 10
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Fine Fellows of Fico.

I just keep scouring my reports hoping to find something that I can send off a letter and see a jump.

I'm still baffled by the $1 derogatory from the CU - yeah burned that bridge.  EQ is the only one that is reporting that as derog, and my ficos from 12/27 show it -- TU 654, EX 665 and EQ 618.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Message 8 of 10
positronicshell
New Contributor

i had success GW 5 transfered baddies USAF Sallie Mae SL accounts + had them all removed a year early.

if i were you i would send a GW letter for the 90 day late since you have had perfect payment history since then.

it took me several letters. don't give up.

xoxox jane
hey, careful man! there's a beverage here!
My FICO: TU - 725 EX - 736 EQ - 747
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@positronicshell wrote:
i had success GW 5 transfered baddies USAF Sallie Mae SL accounts + had them all removed a year early.

if i were you i would send a GW letter for the 90 day late since you have had perfect payment history since then.

it took me several letters. don't give up.

xoxox jane

How many times did it take you for SallieMae to remove the lates? I have 12 late payments for the timeframe of May 2005, June 2005, and July 2005. Although I technically missed only 3 due dates, they count it as 12 since it was 3 loans rolled into one. Although my score is in the 700s, I would still like to get them removed. What address did you send your letter to and who did you address it to? I've tried getting it removed twice already to no avail. The thing that made me mad was that at first it wasn't even reporting on Equifax, just TU and EX, but when I disupted the lates at those bureaus, it suddenly showed up on Equifax and my score freefalled. I just paid off this loan in December so the account is closed, btw.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.