cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I home free? What can go wrong right before closing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I home free? What can go wrong right before closing?

Hello all!

My husband and I were given final approval by our bank, and we're set to close in six days. Are we home free? We're not waiting on anything that I'm aware of - appraisal, inspection, bank approval, downpayment assistance, homeowner's insurance - everything has been taken care of. Am I missing anything? What kinds of issues typically come up that might delay/kill closing?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Re: Am I home free? What can go wrong right before closing?

Sounds like all that is needed is  signing the loan docs and recording.  Unless this home is located in tornado alley, I would just sit back, relax and think about your beautiful new home.  Good luck and congrats in advance.

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 2 of 3
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: Am I home free? What can go wrong right before closing?

imhotrodcrazy wrote:  ..."I would just sit back, relax and think about your beautiful new home... "

That's good advice, Rollercoaster_84.  Stop worrying, it's out of your hands anyways.

But if you want to worry about what could happen, here's a few of the things that have happened to me over the years in real estate transactions where I was either the principal or the broker:

1. The seller dropped dead two days before the closing; 
  2. The title wasn't clear because a previous owner had deeded one foot of property to his neighbor so that the neighbor could install a driveway, making the grantor's property technically no longer a legal-sized residential lot;
  3. The title wasn't clear due to a paid-but-never-released, lien on the property from some thirty years back...the lien-holder was longtime dead, and relatives could not be located to release this lien.
  4. The feds changed the lines on what used to be just a nearby floodplain, making the property in question now smack in the middle of the floodplain.  This change happened literally one week before the closing. 

I've got lots more, some of them even stranger than these, but they're all flukes.  You do enough real estate deals, you're bound to run into some of these things.  But they're all straight out of "The Twilight Zone", and not usual at all.

So, I'd do like imhotrodcrazy said,  just sit back, relax, and think about your beautiful new home!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.