Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreclosure and buying new home again

tag
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

Foreclosure and buying new home again

My home was foreclosed  and sold May 17, 2008.  How long  do I  have  to  wait before I can get a home loan again?

05/12: approx 680 across the board
04/08 EQ: 730 TU: 748 EX: 718
03/08: EQ: 713 TU: ? EX: ?
12/07: EQ: 689 TU: 711 EX: 721
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Foreclosure and buying new home again

I was told by my LO 3 years from date of title transfer. So, May 2011 in your case.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

you need to check your county record office and see when the title was transfered out of your name.  OFten time homes do not sell at auction and then they stay in the bank's inventory until they put it on the market and sell it.  This can delay the actual recording of title transfer for quite awhile.

Also, the 3 year is a minimum.  The bank is going to look hard at credit rebuilding and rental history, etc between 08 and whenever you buy, so the 3 year mark is not a magic number, just a minimum.

Message 3 of 9
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

Am I looking for a Notice of Sale with the County?  As far as rebuilding, we have never missed a rent payment or any other payment and we are paying off our credit cards. Our credit is 673 right now. I expect it will go up as we continue to pay things off.  We also want to save 20% to save for a home.  It may take us a little longer than 3 years to get all of our ducks in a row anyway.  Our credit was perfect before the foreclosure, well, not perfect 760 range.

Message 4 of 9
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

Actually, it looks like 5/2009 from the Notice of Trustee. Then it sold again...?

Message 5 of 9
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

Okay, the Assignment of Deed was done 11/08. Notice of Trustee Sale was done 5/2009.  Okay, I found the Quit Claim for the party who bought it from a corporation? Is that the business that does the deal at auction? (MIAA Enterprises, LLC at auction. It was recorded May 28, 2009.  So, 3 years from that date? 6/2012?

Message 6 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

It should go by the trustee sale date (when the foreclosing lender legally retook possession of the home), so since your trustee sale date was 5/09 you should be good to go in 5/12. 

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My question is this.  My home was foreclosed upon May 7, 2009.  At present, my scores are as follows and the foreclosure does show up:  Experian 685, Equifax 716, and transunion is 742.  I am wondering if I could get a home loan through Cal-Vet?  I am eligible for a loan and am just wondering what effect foreclosure will have on my chances.

Message 8 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

CalVet is a bit more conservative than your regular VA loan.  CalVet is a state run program for Veterans, so it doesn't follow the same exact guidelines that regular VA loans use.  Typically they won't lend to borrowers who have had a foreclosure in the last 2 years, even 3 if there isn't enough re-established credit or if employment has been spotty.... since you have good scores, you should be OK at the 2-year mark.  But you'd also be OK for VA at the 2-year mark as well, and CalVet has significantly higher interest rates than VA loans do (about 1% higher).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.