Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to keep track of payments?

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Best way to keep track of payments?

Should I use google calendar, excel, mint, or some other service to make sure bills and payment come in on time? I have auto-pay set-up for my cc acccounts but I prefer to manually pay anyways. I'm also not willing to spend $$

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best way to keep track of payments?

@Subexistence wrote:

Should I use google calendar, excel, mint, or some other service to make sure bills and payment come in on time? I have auto-pay set-up for my cc acccounts but I prefer to manually pay anyways. I'm also not willing to spend $$

Way old school . . . . I have a post it note on my monitor that lists each bill or CC, when the statement cuts, and when the due date is.

I log into EVERY account every 2 weeks when I get paid and make sure any bills that are due (or payments I want to make before statements cut) are satisfied until the next payday.

Message 2 of 13
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

Way old school . . . . I have a post it note on my monitor that lists each bill or CC, when the statement cuts, and when the due date is.

I log into EVERY account every 2 weeks when I get paid and make sure any bills that are due (or payments I want to make before statements cut) are satisfied until the next payday.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Subexistence wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic.

Not at all! It's what I do. It's old school but it works for me.

I also have a checkbook register app on my phone where I record every charge and payment. That moreso manages balances/savings. For payments/due dates, I rely on that post it.

Message 4 of 13
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

I use my budget spreadhseet, it has my due dates and I get alerts(cant ever be too sure). I log into a few of my accounts daily since they are used the most. 

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

One option is to contact your creditors and change your due dates to all roughly the same time.  You could, for example, change them to the 5th of the month.  Then paying bills is something you always do on the 1st for all creditors,

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Subexistence wrote:

Take a look at Prism

I use this to keep track of my bills (they are all on auto pay though)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobilligy.android&hl=en

Message 7 of 13
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

Mint user here...going on over a year now.

The DW and I have all our credit, banking and investment accounts in it and bills coming due are super easy to track in advance. It's a minor pain in the butt to enter everything in initially and some (I'm looking at you USAA) require two factor authentication to work, but overall it's been a great way to help reliably manage our finances.

I log in multiple times daily and can easily see where we're at on one webpage with no fuss. Last month one of her credit cards fell prey to the Game Stop data breach and I saw the bogus charge within hours of it happening. She called... card was cancelled and we're back on track.  easy peasy

The budgeting feature keeps us brutally honest with our monthly spending and now that we have past data to compare, it's rewarding to see our progress over time.

I consider Mint as useful as the forums here. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Moneyklutz wrote:

Mint user here...going on over a year now.

The DW and I have all our credit, banking and investment accounts in it and bills coming due are super easy to track in advance. It's a minor pain in the butt to enter everything in initially and some (I'm looking at you USAA) require two factor authentication to work, but overall it's been a great way to help reliably manage our finances.

I log in multiple times daily and can easily see where we're at on one webpage with no fuss. Last month one of her credit cards fell prey to the Game Stop data breach and I saw the bogus charge within hours of it happening. She called... card was cancelled and we're back on track.  easy peasy

The budgeting feature keeps us brutally honest with our monthly spending and now that we have past data to compare, it's rewarding to see our progress over time.

I consider Mint as useful as the forums here. 

I wouldn't put too much blame on USAA.  I can use USAA with two factor authentication with other sites that track my money and it works just fine.  It seems it is mint not wanting to enable that feature.

Message 9 of 13
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't put too much blame on USAA.  I can use USAA with two factor authentication with other sites that track my money and it works just fine.  It seems it is mint not wanting to enable that feature.

Agreed. I have 2FA enabled on all accounts that I can for safety but it's the grumpy old man in me that made my fingers type that Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.