Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask OC to Pull Back Debt From CA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ask OC to Pull Back Debt From CA?

I have a very small medical debt that I stupidly let fall through the cracks and it went to collection (after spending years and years trying to clean up my credit).  I was advised that before I contact the CA with a PFD, I should contact the OC and see if they will pull back the debt.  My question is, when contacting the OC, should I call or write, and in speaking with them, should I acknowledge that I owe the debt at all? Or, should I address the OC in the same way I would when sending a PFD to the CA (ie, "I am not acknowledging that this debt is valid, but I will pay in full if the debt is pulled from the CA," etc.).  I just want to be sure that I approach the situation in the best way possible. 

Some additional info:  although the OC is not reporting, only the CA, the correspondence I received from the CA indicates that they are collecting FOR the OC, not that they bought the acccount from the OC.

Thanks for any input.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
smackmaster2
Valued Member

Re: Ask OC to Pull Back Debt From CA?

I would use the old KISS strategy...

OCs i have dealt with, medical, tend to be very nice and understanding. If anything, they are uneducated on the whole process. I wouldnt worry about the "i dont acknowledge this debt" thing unless you are speaking with the CA.

Call them first, feel out the CSR, then the manager if necessary. Most of these people dont even know whether they can pull it back or not.

Make sure you have a good reason for why you didnt pay this bill. And dont try to BS. Be honest and straightforward when dealing with the medical OC.

YMMV, but it has worked for me in this way.

Start 6/16 EX 582 TU 578 EQ 554
Current 8/5 EX 700 TU 711 EQ 651
Message 2 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Debt is not pulled back from a debt collector.  The debt collector, if the OC still owns the debt, is just a collection agent. Unless the debt collector owns the debt, what they are reporting to the CRA is the amount they are authorized to collect, and not a debt to them.

If the creditor terminates their agreement with a debt collector, they cannot require the debt collector to delete any prior, accurate reporting of their collection.

From the day a debt collector receives collection authrrity from a creditor, they can report the fact of their collection to the CRAs.  That is their business, and their reporting.

While a credtor can request a debt collector to delete their prior reporting, they cant compel it.  If you pay the creditor, it is against their reporting guidelines with the CRAs even for them to delete their own prior, accurate reporting, let alone request a third party to delete their reporting.

When a creditor terminates debt collector authority, that terminates their further collection, and requires the debt collector to report their collection as closed, and the balance they are authorized to collect as $0.  That is all.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for the input. Smiley Happy

RobertEG - if I was to pay the OC and they terminated the CA from further collection, the collection would still be on my report, but would report as "closed" and a balance of 0?  Should I then bypass contacting the OC first and go straight to the PFD with the CA?  Or should I contact the OC, pay, have them terminate further collection from the CA, then send a GW letter to the CA?

I'm sorry for all of the questions, but sometimes this really is overwhelming. Smiley Sad

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I had more luck getting the CA itself to delete than getting anything pulled back.  The worst was when the water company totally agreed w/ me that I deserve redemption, but the CA REFUSED.  I thought the CA would want to keep good business w/ the water company but I guess not.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 10
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

In case with utilities, phone and insurance bills that were sent to collection agencies... How do I know who owns the debt? In case with credit card company and collection agency it is easy to know by looking for 0 balance.

Message 6 of 10
YHWHUDAH
Regular Contributor

Ok, this is what I did and it worked. I had like 7 that were in collections about 5 years ago. I went to the OC at the hospital and just asked about my account and paid in full. About a month later, I disputed every last one of them, and when I check my credit report they were all gone. I did have 2 other collections that I paid to the CA and those remain on my report. I did all this before I found about HIPPA. Fastfoward to today, I have one that is in collections that posted 2009. After finding out about HIPPA, I called the OC and inquired about my account and not the debt. She pulled up the information, and I asked to pay on 10/01/2011. Now, I plan to do what I did 5 years ago, dispute.

Capital One Cash World MasterCard 7500, PenFed World Visa 6500, USAA Military Affiliate Visa 2000, Capital One Platinum 2500, Affas Military Star Card 8700, Affas Take It Home Today 4900, Orchard Bank Platinum 1500, Orchard Bank Silver 1300, Lowes 5000 and Chase 500.

Closed on USAA Mortgage Dec 23, USAA Auto Loan 42000 Mercedes Dec 30

Credit Scores: EQ 656 TU 669 EX 679 All Lender Pulls Oct 2011
Message 7 of 10
YHWHUDAH
Regular Contributor

RobertEg

This is not true when dealing with medical collections, I had over 5 years of reports moved because the OC and the medical HIPPA Process. By law the account cannot be validated so all information has to be deleted.

Capital One Cash World MasterCard 7500, PenFed World Visa 6500, USAA Military Affiliate Visa 2000, Capital One Platinum 2500, Affas Military Star Card 8700, Affas Take It Home Today 4900, Orchard Bank Platinum 1500, Orchard Bank Silver 1300, Lowes 5000 and Chase 500.

Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Agreed.  Thanks for the clarification!

Message 9 of 10
YHWHUDAH
Regular Contributor

You are welcome, and no problem brother.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.