Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score goes down despite paying down credit card balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score goes down despite paying down credit card balance

So today, I looked at my Equifax Credit Score and noticed it has actually dropped by 28 points because I made a large payment towards a credit card.  I was told the credit companies will do this to prevent you from paying down a card in an attempt to pay it off in a hurry and cancel.  Does anyone have experience with this or know how I can dispute this?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Score goes down despite paying down credit card balance

What would you be disputing? Your score isn't disputable - the factors that comprise it are.

Is it your FICO score that went down? Are you sure nothing else changed?
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So today, I looked at my Equifax Credit Score and noticed it has actually dropped by 28 points because I made a large payment towards a credit card.  I was told the credit companies will do this to prevent you from paying down a card in an attempt to pay it off in a hurry and cancel.  Does anyone have experience with this or know how I can dispute this?

Where are you getting that score from?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Did they lower your limit on the card? happened to me... it is called "balance chasing" 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So here is what I know.  I had a balance on my credit card of 285 (credit limit 300).  I paid 200.00 towards tha balance.  Once I did that, it brought my score down by 28 points.  That does not make sense to me. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting that score from my profile page here on the myfico.com website.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.