Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with law firm

tag
Muff
Regular Contributor

Dealing with law firm

I posted before about my capital one debt being with a law firm. The person I'm having to deal with is not am attorney he said he's just a debt collector. Rewind back to begining of the month when I first contacted him, he told me he will settle my $1440 account for $1052 I mentioned the garnishment I went through for a short period and I guess he notated it some what. So when I calked today to try to negotiate a little more because I want to pay this tomorrow. Well he says well when you're bring garnished you have to pay full amount, I was like huh?? What garnishment ? (The garnishment was in 2011 and I quit the job shortly after) so he says aren't you being garnished? I said NO! He said have you been served papers by a sherrif? Again I said NO!!! He said oh, let me read this. I said what you're recalling from your notes is that I said I had been garnished before but not now and you offered me a settlement! He says ok I can settle for $1,152 today I said well originally you said $1,052! I offered him $800 he said no! So I ended the call and ended up calling him back because with him throwing this fake garnishment at me I thought maybe he was persuing it. Anyway he is back at his $1,052 offer, I said I would pay tomorrow can anyone tell me the best method to pay him? I've been told not to pay with my debit before but I don't get why because I would be able to see the transaction on my wells Fargo account statement. Should I mail him a check? If so should I copy it? I just want to get this over

EQ 618
TU 627
EX ?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
mrsjr
Regular Contributor

Re: Dealing with law firm

@Muff wrote:

I posted before about my capital one debt being with a law firm. The person I'm having to deal with is not am attorney he said he's just a debt collector. Rewind back to begining of the month when I first contacted him, he told me he will settle my $1440 account for $1052 I mentioned the garnishment I went through for a short period and I guess he notated it some what. So when I calked today to try to negotiate a little more because I want to pay this tomorrow. Well he says well when you're bring garnished you have to pay full amount, I was like huh?? What garnishment ? (The garnishment was in 2011 and I quit the job shortly after) so he says aren't you being garnished? I said NO! He said have you been served papers by a sherrif? Again I said NO!!! He said oh, let me read this. I said what you're recalling from your notes is that I said I had been garnished before but not now and you offered me a settlement! He says ok I can settle for $1,152 today I said well originally you said $1,052! I offered him $800 he said no! So I ended the call and ended up calling him back because with him throwing this fake garnishment at me I thought maybe he was persuing it. Anyway he is back at his $1,052 offer, I said I would pay tomorrow can anyone tell me the best method to pay him? I've been told not to pay with my debit before but I don't get why because I would be able to see the transaction on my wells Fargo account statement. Should I mail him a check? If so should I copy it? I just want to get this ove

I would send them a money order because you never want to give debt collectors you bank account #s because they will garnish your bank account.  He was surprised that you weren't being garnished because you were being garnished before.  I know that you left your job, but the judgement is still active which means that if they can find you, they'll garnish you at your new job too.  Basically, you were being garnished because you must have a judgement against you.  Until that judgement is paid in full, they can garnish your wages or your bank account.  Pay them off with a money order and put that behind you!!

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 739 TU
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
velocity5

Get everything you agree to in WRITING before sending them any money. as mrsjr said, don't send them a check, otherwise they will have your bank details. When you settle, make a copy of the money order/cashiers check as well.

Starting Score: 666
Current Score: 666
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
wa3more
Established Contributor

follow what Mr and Velocity said.

In writing, no check.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.