Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

New Visitor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-03-2008
0 Kudos

Judgement Problem

I don't have any collections on my account.  But, I have a judgement that was paid from 2004 in the amount of $271 dollars.  What really irritates me about the whole thing........
In 2004 I was hit by a drunk driver.  I was in the hospital for 4 1/2 months.  The state had to come in and help with food, cash, medical, home name it.
While I was in the hospital I had a family member caring for my children.  They had the EBT card and made sure the kids had food and anything else they may need.  This car accident left me unable to walk for 1 year and 6 months.  My children weren't aloud to see me for the first 3 months because they did not know if I was going to make it.
When I did return home I had a nurse living with us to help me with everything, eating, washing, walking.  One day I receive a letter that the county overpaid me in food support while I was in the hospital for the $271 bucks.  I certainly wasn't working and the only income we were receiving was from the state. do I repay them.
So I call...........being responsible to try and work something out.  They tell me it will go before a judge the next week.  I explain I can not walk or drive and I don't have a way to get to the court house.  Is there another way to take care of it?  Nope.  But, you don't have to be here they tell me.  Okay.  Great was my response.  They told me they would take the money out of my childsupport.  Which they did.
And then to my surprise and stupidity here comes the judgement on my credit.  I can not get credit cards, cars, mortgage.........nothing because everytime they pull my credit they assume I have a bankruptcy.
Is there anyway I have any recourse in this matter? 
My scores are currently:
Thanks for your help.  I feel like the county took advantage of me in my condition for their error.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,340
Registered: ‎04-08-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Judgement Problem

Sorry to hear about that...maybe you can contact the court...get the name of the lawyer in the suit...and try to get a "Release of Judgment"...
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 450
Registered: ‎12-10-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Judgement Problem

[ Edited ]
I would definitely go to the courts and verify there is a judgment on record and that it shows paid, then I'd look into getting it "vacated" it's very possible to have this happen. It's time consuming but worth you ensuring that everything on your credit report matches what's at the court house from index # to name etc. Each state's system is different but I'd do a complete record check and exploring your options on that end before going to the CRA's.

Good luck!

Message Edited by braznyc on 05-04-2008 03:12 PM

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.