Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlined HIPAA Process?

tag
FrugalRican
Blogger

Outlined HIPAA Process?

I have a co-worker who is trying to get a consolidation loan to get all her credit cards to 0, get rid of her ghastly interest payments on those cards and just funnel everything into one monthly payment.

Unfortunately, she had a medical collection pop up on her account last year.

She thought she had gotten the OC to agree to delete. They didn't, they just switched to "Paid as Agreed in Full" (or whatever they label it as).

I don't know too much about the HIPAA process, and I've tried using the search function within the forums to find a specific post that maybe has the steps to it.

Can anyone provide a link or basic information on what she should do next?
It's her only collection left on her report and she wants to get this taken off. Is this possible through the HIPAA process?

I have no experience with this at all, so any help, links, info, outlines are greatly appreciated.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 1 of 91
90 REPLIES 90
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Outlined HIPAA Process?

@FrugalRican wrote:

I have a co-worker who is trying to get a consolidation loan to get all her credit cards to 0, get rid of her ghastly interest payments on those cards and just funnel everything into one monthly payment.

She thought she had gotten the OC to agree to delete. They didn't, they just switched to "Paid as Agreed in Full" (or whatever they label it as).

I don't know too much about the HIPAA process, and I've tried using the search function within the forums to find a specific post that maybe has the steps to it.

It's her only collection left on her report and she wants to get this taken off. Is this possible through the HIPAA process?

I have no experience with this at all, so any help, links, info, outlines are greatly appreciated.

Discussing the HIPAA process on the forum in any great detail violate the Terms and Services of the forum, which is why the details are iffy on this forum.

There are people on here who have the information, and they will probably PM you the informaiton

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 91
FrugalRican
Blogger

Ahh, gotcha, I had no idea about that. Goes to show how "in the dark" I am about the whole process.

If anyone would like to PM me details, go for it, I definitely wouldn't want to violate any T&S on the forum.

Thanks for letting me know, Scott!

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 3 of 91
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@FrugalRican wrote:

Ahh, gotcha, I had no idea about that. Goes to show how "in the dark" I am about the whole process.

If anyone would like to PM me details, go for it, I definitely wouldn't want to violate any T&S on the forum.

Thanks for letting me know, Scott!

It's a legal concern why specific details can't be discussed here and I can't really go any farther about it. There is information out on the internet about this if you want to start searching.

Message 4 of 91
2NE1
Established Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

I'm a HIPAA expert! Smiley Wink I got 7 unpaid collections deleted off my three reports! check your inbox for more info! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 91
JonRun
Regular Contributor

Could you pm me the info? I have a medical collection I would like to take care of. Thanks
Message 6 of 91
UpmyscoreinFL
Frequent Contributor

I would like that information as well please.
Equifax my fico 629
Transunion my fico 669
Experian fako 663
Message 7 of 91
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The HIPAA process is based on a legal interpretation of the statute, not an explicit provision of statute.

The basic underpinning of the process is an argument that, while medical information can permissibly be retained by parties collecting on a medical debt, once the debt is paid, that permissible purpose is gone, and thus requires deletion of any such retained information.

It is not discussed because it is not an explicit provision of statute, and thus is a legal interpretation reserved for members of the bar.

If and when case law affirms the legal validity of the underpinning assumption, there should be no reason to not discuss openly.  But precedential case law does not currently exist.

Message 8 of 91
2NE1
Established Contributor

Messages sent! pls check your inbox! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 91
treski
Frequent Contributor

Could you PM me, as well?
NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa $25k, USAA MC $3.5k, USAA Amex $3.5k
Message 10 of 91
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.