Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ozix's Rebuild Thread

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ozix's Rebuild Thread

Hey all,

2015 is here and I feel inspired by all the progress I made in 2014 in rebuilding and repairing my credit!  I wish I would have done this a while ago (like when I first joined the boards) to make a thread to keep track of my progress, but I guess late is better than never...  I owe almost all of of the inspiration of this thread to -p- and his/her thread of repair and progress as well Smiley Very Happy

So some backstory, prior to joining the boards in mid 2013 my credit was a complete mess, I had student loans that were defaulted, a number of collections, all sorts of havoc.  One of the first steps I made (and this was even prior to me joining myfico) was to consolidate my then defaulted Student Loans.  What definitely inspired me to do that was the Department of Education had taken my entire federal tax refund (of about 5 grand) because of my defaulted student loans.  Ugh that was probably the ultimate low.  So in October or November of 2012 I started the process of consolidating my federal student loans (about 60 grand worth).  That was completed in Dec 2012 and because Murphy hated me at the time (and I was living in the barracks while still on Active Duty) all the log in information, first bill, etc had never arrived so my first payment on newly consolidated (previously defaulted) student loans was late.  Thankfully I called them sometime in Jan asking when to expect a bill, and they were like what are you talking about you're already late.  We got everything sorted out, no late fees, no reporting to the bureaus, etc.  Great way to start huh?

About the same time my GF (now wife) applied for a Best Buy store card as we were getting married and moving in together and we needed a washer/dryer.  She was approved for $1500 and added me as an AU to the account.

I think I might have had 1, maybe 2 credit cards prior to joining.  A First Premier Bank (correction: an Applied Bank) secured card that was almost always near the limit I had on it of $1000, and a Merrick Bank for $500.  Right about the time I joined I had received a Capital One mailer for a credit card.  Super enthused I applied and was instantly approved for $750 for their Platinum card in the credit steps (to double to $1500).  Not wanting the good to end I ran a prequal check on their site and it recommended a then Cash Rewards card, I was instant approved for that one as well, $500 to jump to $750 in their credit steps.  

Sometime in July of 2013 I read a thread about how awesome Navy Federal was, and being Active Duty Army I was like I need to get in with them.  Joined them, set up my direct deposit with them from USAA, applied for LOC, credit card (both denied) and settled on a nRewards Secured card.  Also got the wife to join, and talked her into applying, she got a then nRewards card approved for $5000 with me as an authorized user.  We immediately messaged them once her approval was in to PC it to a cashRewards and hoped they could make it a Visa Signature card, which wasn't a problem.  After a couple weeks I realized I couldn't pay on the cashRewards card from my account, so we asked NFCU what we could do.  Their advice, switch me from an AU to a Joint user.  I knew this would help my repair process since AU cards aren't always scored.  Once that was complete we tried for a CLI near the 90 day mark and got it up to 6k from 5k.

2014 seems like such a blur, I made a separate calendar in Google on when each baddie would expire from my report, and saw the faint light at the end of the tunnel.  I was medically retired from the Army in July 2014 and was awarded 100% total and permanent disability from the VA.  I started working for AT&T in August.  At the time just about every card I had was maxed out, all in all about 10k in credit card debt.  I made it my personal goal to be credit card debt free by mid 2015, I completed that goal 6 months early on December 30th!  I was super stoked that I'd be going into 2015 with $0 credit card debt.  The two downsides was the wife and I were going on Vacation to San Antonio literally the next day and my brother is getting married in Key West in April 2015.  We did good on the San Antonio trip, our $225 sign up and min spend bonuses from our new Freedom cards paid for 2/3 of the hotel and 100% of our tickets to Alamo Bowl.  We also put all of our spending on my goRewards card, that has a $200 sign up bonuses for spending 2k in 3 months which is REALLY hard to do on a CC with ONLY a $500 CL lol.

Lets see what else happened in 2014, NFCU cashRewards CLI from 6k to 10k, Best Buy card CLI from 1500 to 10k, approved for NFCU LOC 6k, goRewards $500 (after a lengthy SM recon lol), Chase apparently loves me, approved for Freedom for 3k, Marriott for 5k (my first Visa Signature card, I don't count the NFCU cashRewards as counting as my first Visa Siggy since the wifey got that card approved for 5k, THEN added me as a Joint user lol).  Overstock shopping card trick to $2500 and CLI $2700.  Wifey also got talked into a NFCU LOC at 10k, Freedom card at 2k.

I trimmed some excess fat, closed Merrick, my secured NFCU nRewards, closed First Premier (a while back), closed the Applied Bank secured card also in early 2014.

A lot of baddies fell off, medical collections, regular collections.  Got a hold of Verizon and they concluded the account that was opened in May 2013 was obviously fraudulent and sent off notice to the bureaus to delete.  Got my first successful PFD, also got a flat out NO response.  A pesky medical collection that was for a procedure for my ex-wife miraculously disappeared out of the blue from all reports.

I apologize if this post is ALL over the place, future ones should be better as I'll just be updating as I get myFico alers, and I do my triple report pulls on you guessed it early this month.  So that's what the next post will be, an update from what disappeared and updated on my Jan 4th triple report pull...

Thanks for reading and I hope there's some interest in this thread, I'll probably keep posting to it anyway lol, but more interest will definitely help keep me motivated lol.

Oz

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ozix's Rebuild Thread

Wow that's awesome! Thanks for sharing! 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed! I hope to one day follow in those footsteps! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okey dokes, so post #2.  This is what I got from Equifax, I use their triple pull (in addition to myfico daily triple report monitoring).  I like their triple report pull as I can get all 3 bureaus for 50% off their pricing and it's a bit cheaper than myfico's triple pulls so I'm not going to complain lol...  The only thing I wish myfico would report in the daily monitoring is when a baddies ages off or a PFD goes away.  Oh well I guess it gives me an excuse to go over EVERYTHING every month...

Account Age

EquifaxTransUnionExperian
Length of Credit History14 Years, 5 Months14 Years, 5 Months14 Years, 5 Months
Average Account Age5 Years, 8 Months5 Years, 5 Months5 Years, 11 Months
Oldest AccountUSA FUNDS (Opened   )US DEPT ED (Opened 08/2000)U S DEPT OF ED/GSL/A (Opened 08/2000)
Most Recent AccountChase Card Services (Opened 11/2014)CHASE (Opened 11/2014)CHASE (Opened 11/2014)

* down a little bit from all the recent apps, but not too bad.

Inquiries

Inquiries in the Last 2 Years1894
Most Recent InquiryCHASE CARD (Opened 12/2014)CHASE CARD (Opened 11/2014)CHASE CARD (Opened 11/2014)

* everyone loves to pull EQ, I'm not quite in CreditAddict territory with 30+, but getting there.  Good news is, only 6 of those EQ are from 2014, only 1 TU inquiry in 2014, and same for EXP only 1 in 2014.

Now the sucky part:

Potentially Negative Information

Public Records000
Negative Accounts171021
Collections101

* these are mostly the same student loans over and over again from three different account holders: Sallie Mae, USA Funds, and US Department of Education.  The good news in my PFD went through, I don't see it at all on any of my reports, the Verizon account is gone on all but 1 report, still showing on EQ.  If it's there in Feb still I'll give EQ a call and see what's up.  The guy who helped with at Verizon was kind enough to email me a letter saying the account was fraudulent and was queued to be deleted.  Everything seems to be up to date, save for Best Buy still showing at $1500 instead of $10000 on 2 reports (TU and EXP).

Total Revolving Accounts101010
Balance$1,293$1,293$1,293
Credit Limit Credit Limit includes the high balance for accounts without a credit limit, such as mortgage or installment accounts$34,750$26,250$26,250
Debt to Credit Ratio4%5%5%

It's all paid down to zero right now, but I'll make sure to let one card report to maximize scoring.  The majority of that was $900 something reporting on the NFCU cashRewards card which ironically worked out to report as 9% since it has a 10k limit lol.

I'm hoping my Marriott card arrives on Mon or Tues, I really need to book the flights and hotel to Key West.  My free night showed up, unfortunately Chase or Marriott seemed to have created a second Marriott Rewards account, so I'm going to have to wait to see what points and nights post from our trip to San Antonio and then once they do call and have them transfer the nights and points from the old account to the new one Chase/Marriott created.  Since the Silver Status and free night are posting to the new one and I'm also guessing the number that's laser engraved on the card they're overnighting is the new account, I'll be best to close the old Marriott Rewards account.  I'm a little confused though, as I'm 99.99% sure I put my existing Marriott Rewards number on my application...

Oz 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got some score updates, 

Equifax: 640

Transunion: 641

Experian: 644

All in the 640s, getting close to moving out of the "Not Good" range.

Looks like my Navy Federal nRewards Secured card updated from $292 -> $1 and Closed by Consumer and some Medical Collections fell off a couple months early on all 3 bureaus, not going to complain about that.

Oz

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.