Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random soft pulls on reports

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Random soft pulls on reports

I was looking at my credit reports and noticed some random soft inquiries that I have no idea what they are from and am getting paranoid as I have been working so hard to clean up my reports, and now Im afraid something will pop up one of these days. On my TransUnion, I see a soft inquiry from P and B Capital Group on 2/6/14 with the purpose listed as Collection.

On my Experian from last year, I see another that is unknown to me... I have one from AllianceOne Receivable from August 2013 and another pull from them in September of 2013. I have never heard from any of these that I can recall, and all my negative accounts are taken care of. My Capital One Charge off was paid to ARS National, Merrick Bank was paid to Carson/Smithfield which I believe Merrick still owned. Finally my Credit One was sold, but I am making payments to Messerli & Kramer who is collecting for MSW Capital.

I am all nervous now that something is going to surprise me and put me farther back in my rebuilding journey. I have worked hard, and am waiting for my 3 new cards to report anticipating a nice score increase, but now Im very nervous. I dont want to contact any of these and wake a sleeping giant, plus it makes me wonder why they would do a soft inquiry and not do anything else as its been over a year for each one. Any advice/reassurance/ or anything would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Random soft pulls on reports

Chances are that you are correct... Perhaps they bought and perhaps sold one of those other debts at some point, or there is something else waiting out there. If you plan to apply for a mortgage, make for at least the time you are applying for it you are opted out of prescreened offers. Many people get some old crappy debt slapped on their report when someone soft pulls and sees the trimerge report pulled for the mortgage.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wont be applying for a mortgage for a long time, but is this uncommon? Seems strange that they would do a soft pull over a year ago and not contact me or put the collection on my report.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

It may be that they owned one of your old accounts and when they did a soft pull, they determined that collecting was unlikely and subsequently sold the debt.

Its not uncommon for CA's to do soft pulls. They can even do hard pulls if they choose.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.