Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something's Fishy....

tag
toi34
Established Contributor

Something's Fishy....

There has been an uptick on the board about Stellar Recovery and Enhanced Recovery collection agencies (they recently placed a collection on my EQ which I am disputing as 'paid before reporting').

Anyway, I went to the CFPB complaint portal and found that almost 1/2 of the new complaints over the last month have included Enhanced Recovery, Stellar Recovery and Equifax!

I also noticed that EQ changed my personal information (my first, middle and last names are out of order) and my birthdate has been changed to a month, day and year that are totally not mine??! Many of the CFPB complaints against EQ were for 'personal information.'

Doesn't this sound fishy?

I disputed my personal information with EQ and per their requirement, within 24 hours I faxed my DL, SS and current utility bill, but the information has not been updated. In my opinion, something like this should not take 30 days to fix, and I will be filing a CFPB compliant by next Friday if it is not updated.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Re: Something's Fishy....

Dunno if its fishy, maybe they bought a mountain of old charge offs and are reporting all of the incorrect info from those.

It took me 3-7 days to get something disputed so I would think changing info would take about as long.  (although since you faxed maybe longer?)

It shouldnt take the 30 days though, when did you dispute?

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

"Paid before reporting" does not make their reporting improper.

They still had collection authority.

Message 3 of 7
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

I had 2 Enhanced Recovery collections removed pretty easily through disputes. Can't remember what I used as ammunition but they ended up disappearing. One for US Cellular for $331 was removed Nov 8 2013 (was sold). Showed back up under Debt Recovery Sooutions and was removed Dec 27 2013 also through dispute. The second was with Enhanced Recovery initially for Sprint $456, was removed Oct 17, 2013 then sold. Showed back up under Diversified for the same amount and through dispute was removed Jul 04, 2014.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 4 of 7
toi34
Established Contributor

@RobertEG...I paid well BEFORE the 30 days indicated on the notice. I dug-up the dunning notice and I have still have the receipt stapled to it, and so reporting a $97 paid bill to Comcast is BS and I'm not going to live with this for 7 years!!!!!! It is complete BS!

Message 5 of 7
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

If it was ACTUALLY late and went into collections status, then they are allowed to still report whether you paid them before it popped up or not. There's no federal regulation saying that they can't. Your only option is to ask for good will removal which they can take or not take, it's fully upto them. How late was the payment after the last bill came out?
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The 30-day period referenced in the dunning notice is the period the consumer has in which to file a timely request for debt validation.

It does not impose any cease collection or cease reporting restrictions on the debt collector.

In fact, they can choose to report prior to sending any dunning notice.

As specifically clarified in FDCPA 809(b), the debt collector is not barred from continued collection activities during that 30-day period.

It is only the filing of a DV prior to expiration of the 30-day period that initiates any cease collection or cease reporting bar.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.