Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategy for old debts that have fallen off reports

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strategy for old debts that have fallen off reports

Hello all,

This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while.  

Recently 3 very large CO's have fallen off of all 3 of my credit reports, right at the 7 year mark (not 7 years + 180 days as I was expecting).  Anyways, now that they are off of my report, I'm feeling pretty good about applying for new credit.  

I still owe these debts and want to settle them in the near future. --a couple of questions:

1.) Is there anything that I should be aware of, or do any of you have a strategy for me (i.e. should I call them and negotiate)?  

2.) Will settling these debts cause them to reappear on my credit reports?  

3.) How much should I offer to pay (in percentage)?

4.) Any downsides to settling these old debts?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Strategy for old debts that have fallen off reports

You have a major negotiation tactic here...the debt is well past CRPT and I would check your state's SOL as well. I would offer them 10% if you want to settle the old debt.
They cannot put the debt back on your reports after 7 years 180 days.
There is no downside as I see it to settle, you are taking care of what you owe.
Good luck!
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply!  I couldn't think of a downside either, so that's what I'll do.  It was a large amount of debt though, so 10% will still be $5K.

Does that also mean that I'll have to pay taxes on the ''forgiven'' debt ($45K), so roughly 20% on that, which is another $9K??  For a total of $14K....  I should have never married that girl......................and let her manage our finances!

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When seeking a settlement on time-barred and CR excluded information, it is pruduent not to let the parties know that you are in the process of seeking a mortage, and thus need to pay.  That may cause them to hold out for 100%, knowing that you must settle.

Yes, if you settle for less, you run the risk of the cancelled debt becoming taxable as income if in the amount of $600 or more.

However, there are exemptions from the IRS liability for cirsumstances, such as insolvency at the time of the cancellation.

You should consult a tax pro prior to simply paying taxes on debt cancelled by way of a 1099c.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

This was an enlightening thread for me as well. I have one medical bill that is like 6 months from being barred from being reported. It has somehow slipped through the cracks and not shown up on my reports. However I do plan on making good on this as it IS my bill. I have been waiting for the reporting time to expire so as to not run the risk of it being reported as a paid collection but then I intend to make good on it.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.