Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Warner Cable Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Time Warner Cable Collections

Hi, Everyone,

I have two collection accounts with Credit Collection Services on my credit reports. Time Warner Cable is the original creditor. They are small accounts - one is $72 and one is $97. I had been making $25-$30 payments to Credit Collection Services because before I found this forum I believed that paying was my only option.

Now I've wised up and I'd like them removed.

Am I able to contact Time Warner Cable and offer to pay in full in exchange for the account(s) to be removed from Credit Collection Services? I've read of people having luck with this by contacting the CEO. Does anyone have any contact information that may help me?

Thank you all. Cat Very Happy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Time Warner Cable Collections

So, this happened. I'm not sure what to think about this.

info: at 17:35:12
Thank you for contacting us. A representative will be with you shortly. You will be given the
opportunity to take a survey about your experience with chat today when you close the chat
window.
info: at 17:35:15
You are now chatting with Aniket C..
info: at 17:35:15
** Please do not share credit card information in this window. If credit card information is
required, the agent will push a separate and secure form to you. **
Aniket C.: at 17:35:22
Hello! How are you doing?
MissC: at 17:36:13
Good Evening, I am writing regarding an old account that I just found out has been sent to a
collection agency. Are you able to help me with this or can you provide me the contact
information of someone who can?
Aniket C.: at 17:36:59
I understand your concern.
Aniket C.: at 17:37:00
Can you help me with the complete service address and the account holders name please?
Aniket C.: at 17:39:00
I am awaiting for your response.
MissC: at 17:39:35
The account was in my name, MissC. I think that the service address was XXX.
Aniket C.: at 17:39:48
Thank you for the information.
Aniket C.: at 17:39:53
I apologize, you have incorrectly entered the Texas Support group. I will transfer you to the
correct support group right away. Is that okay with you?
MissC: at 17:40:13
Ok.
Aniket C.: at 17:40:23
Please stay connected while I transfer this chat to the Ohio department.
info: at 17:40:42
Please wait while I transfer the chat to the appropriate group.
info: at 17:40:56
You are now chatting with Sanket M..
info: at 17:40:56
** Please do not share credit card information in this window. If credit card information is
required, the agent will push a separate and secure form to you. **
Sanket M.: at 17:41:06
Hello, how are you doing today?
MissC: at 17:41:35
I am well. Thank you. Are you able to see the conversation above? ^
Sanket M.: at 17:41:44
Good to know that.
Sanket M.: at 17:41:45
You're welcome.
Sanket M.: at 17:41:51
I have read your query
Sanket M.: at 17:41:52
I'll surely check that for you.
Sanket M.: at 17:41:53
Please provide me with the address associated with the account.
MissC: at 17:42:26
XXX
Sanket M.: at 17:43:23
Thank you for the information.
Sanket M.: at 17:43:53
I see that the account is disconnected account.
Sanket M.: at 17:44:00
And that is the reason you won't be able to login.
Sanket M.: at 17:44:14
I see there is a write off amount of $97.00 on your account.
MissC: at 17:44:20
You are misunderstanding.
Sanket M.: at 17:44:44
Okay, sorry for that.
MissC: at 17:45:44
Please let me explain. I am writing today because I just checked my credit report and found two
Time Warner Cable charges that were sent to a Collection Agency. One in the amount of $97 and
one in the amount of $157. I need to know if anyone here can help me resolve this or if you can
point me in the direction of someone who can.
Sanket M.: at 17:46:12
Okay.
Sanket M.: at 17:46:13
Sure.
Sanket M.: at 17:46:53
Thank you for waiting.
MissC: at 17:46:59
Do you only see an amount of $97? Or do you also see the $157?
Sanket M.: at 17:47:25
Yes, you are correct.
MissC: at 17:48:52
Can you please tell me what these charges are for?
Sanket M.: at 17:49:14
Sure.
Sanket M.: at 17:49:35
You don't have to pay any charges.
Sanket M.: at 17:49:44
The account would be updated within next 24 hours.
Sanket M.: at 17:49:48
Be rest assured.
MissC: at 17:50:21
Updated where?
Sanket M.: at 17:51:03
The account would be updated.
Sanket M.: at 17:51:11
I request you visit the nearest store.
Sanket M.: at 17:51:17
There would be no collection calls too.
MissC: at 17:51:22
So I don't owe anything now?
Sanket M.: at 17:51:28
Nope.
MissC: at 17:51:45
Then why was it reported on my credit report?
Sanket M.: at 17:52:03
It would be updated.
MissC: at 17:52:22
So you mean that the account will be removed from my credit report?
Sanket M.: at 17:52:54
Yes you are correct.
Sanket M.: at 17:55:22
Not to rush you, are we connected?
Sanket M.: at 17:56:29
Please respond for continued assistance. Prolonged delay in response may lead to automatic chat
disconnection.
MissC: at 17:56:36
Yes. One moment.
Sanket M.: at 17:56:42
Sure.
MissC: at 17:57:48
Just to make sure that I understand, you are telling me that I no longer have a balance on this
account, and within 24 hours my credit report will be updated and these charges will be removed.
Is this correct?
Sanket M.: at 17:58:02
Yes, you are correct.
Sanket M.: at 17:58:13
As per the billing statement there is no balance on your account.
Sanket M.: at 17:58:21
And the balance showing of $97.00 would be updated.
Sanket M.: at 17:58:22
I will make a note on the account for the same.
MissC: at 17:58:32
So was this a mistake in billing, then?
Sanket M.: at 17:58:43
Yes, you are correct.
MissC: at 17:59:17
Ok. When will I see the update reflected on my credit report? Within 24 hours?
Sanket M.: at 17:59:34
Yes, you are correct.

MissC: at 18:01:00
Ok.
MissC: at 18:01:03
Thank you.
Sanket M.: at 18:01:18
You're welcome.
Sanket M.: at 18:01:19
I appreciate your understanding in this matter.
Sanket M.: at 18:01:20
Is there anything else I can help you with?

MissC: at 18:01:48
No, thank you very much. I will watch for the update in my credit report within 24 hours.
Sanket M.: at 18:01:58
You're welcome.
Sanket M.: at 18:01:59
Sure.
Sanket M.: at 18:02:06
Have a good night.
info: at 18:05:29
Thank you for chatting with us. Please click the "End Conversation" button on the top right of the
chat window to tell us how we did today.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's awesome! Was this just a chat on the website
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I just clicked the Chat button on their website. I'm having trouble believing that it's that easy, though. Time Warner Cable already sent my account to Credit Collection Services. Can they recall it from the collection agency like that and have it reflect within 24 hours?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've not heard anything yet. My Credit Karma account isn't updating because the three credit bureaus put some type of fraud alert on my reports.

Should I ask Time Warner Cable if my account has been updated? I'm really becoming impatient with this entire process.

Message 5 of 9
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

MissC

A couple things to be aware of.

1) you should try to find out if TW sold the accounts to CCS or just hired them to collect the accounts. Those are two different situations.

2) definitely save that chat log! it may a pot of gold for you if this attempt to fix things goes south on you. It is a company rep clearly promising you that you don't owe anything and that your account will update in 24 hours. that 24 hours is not going to happen anywhere but possibly in the TW internal computers, but it is a leverage point showing shoddy record keeping and training.

3) If TW still owns the accounts, then yes they can tell CCS to stop trying to collect and correct the report. this will not happen in 24 hours and CCS will not be amused, but that is TW's problem not yours if TW still owns the account.

4) IF TW has SOLD the account to CCS, then you are in a much more complex situation. It may turn out all right for you, but it may not. The fact is if CCS owns the account, than what the TW rep said can work for you in the long run, but in the short term probably not.

IF for example you had been paying TW what you owed but on some sort of haphazard payment plan, they may have screwed up in sending / selling the account to collections. Only a LAWYER can advise you on that.

IF however you had not paid TW in the 180 days and they sold the account to CCS, then CCS is the only entity involved at this point. That does not mean with a plan of attack using disputes and Debt Validation demands you might not eventually win. Again only a LAWYER can advise you.

5) You don't say if TW has this on your credit reports also, or if they ever did.

The only advice I would suggest at this moment is to get  your FREE annual credit reports. They will tell you among other things the DoFD which plays a big part in any action you have.

keep in mind, if you are unsuccessful in challenging the reporting of the accounts, they will be on your report for 7 years. In that event it is better to pay them off as a "paid" collection hurts you less than an "unpaid" collection.

After you gather more facts and get your free annual reports you will be in a better position to figure out which plan of action works best for you. If the debt is on your reports legitimately, paying it off MAY be your best alternative.

Then again you may be the type of person that wants to fight to try and clear it even thought CCS might decide to sue you if you fight too much, and the minimum time on judgements being on your report is 10 years not 7 if you lose the court case.

As a note there is interesting chatter in the forums of forcing the CA to go to arbitration if it is spelled out in your original contract. That is expensive for them and some suggest they may just drop it at that point, but I don't know that either way. Just information.

I don't know if any of that helps, but I assure you everyone here is rooting for that CHAT log to be accurate and that the accounts drop off in a few days. However I must caution that just because an account is NOT showing on your Credit Report, does not mean they  CANNOT sue you up to the SOL which by the way you reset when you agreed to pay anything at all. This applies whether the account is still owned by TW or if it has been SOLD to CCS or another company,

Good luck and keep us posted

Mike

Starting Score: EQ 628 | TU 643 | EXP 618
Fico 8 12/22/16: EQ 658 | TU 682 | EXP 721
Next Goal:        700's across the board
Credit Karma:   EQ 554 | TU 551
CK 12/22/2016: EQ 637 | TU 637
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice, Mike!

I spoke with a Time Warner Cable representative this evening. She ran my SSN and confirmed that the two amounts - $72 and $97 - are still showing. This means that the representative who I had the above ^ conversation with totally lied.

She also told me that she was able to see the payments that I've been making to CCS, which leads me to believe that Time Warner Cable didn't sell the accounts but has CCS collecting on their behalf. She told me that as soon as the balance is pad in full the accounts will be removed from my three credit reports. I'm not sure if I believe her because a representative has lied to me once already.

Where should I go from here? They are small amounts but a collection account is a collection account and I want them gone. Should I pay them off and see what happens? Or should I use the transcript of the above conversation ^ as leverage?

Thanks again!
Message 7 of 9
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

MissC

If it was my decision to make and based soley on what you posted in this thread. I would pay them off NOW.

I however would be a bit sneaky. First I would call the rep back and record the conversation. Check the laws on two party consent for your state. I live in a one party state but would record anyway.

that is just me.

Since these companies invariably include the message 'your conversation may be recorded blah blah blah", the worker is already on notice they are being recorded, just not by who.

I would get them to repeat that statement and then ask for an email confirming it. If you can fork over the money the minute that email arrives. DO IT.

You are looking at $170 to potentially clear a collection from your report. I assume you actually owe it, so it is a win-win.

Also think about this for  a minute. If you pay, the collection is done and will hurt you less than the unpaid collection does. There will be no hassles, not calls, no letters, no judgement, no garnishment. Just a blemish that drops off relatively soon.

The decision is of course yours and only you can decide the right solution, but if it was me I would do it just like I wrote.

Good luck.

let us know what you do and how it turns out.

mike

Starting Score: EQ 628 | TU 643 | EXP 618
Fico 8 12/22/16: EQ 658 | TU 682 | EXP 721
Next Goal:        700's across the board
Credit Karma:   EQ 554 | TU 551
CK 12/22/2016: EQ 637 | TU 637
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What ended up happening? Any luck?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.