COMPUTER

my computer is like a snail!!!!

Could it be facebook?  It was fine b4.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: COMPUTER

If you're on windows... off the top of my head.. I know there's a lot more but I'm tired, lol..

Built-in things you can do

Windows Key + R.. or Start > Run

Type "msconfig"

There's options to get rid of stuff at startup.

Toolbars, Add-Ons, etc. in browsers often are updated on _every_ call to a webpage, and this can make the internet d-r-a-g.. Disable anything like HotBar, Game bars, even AOL/Yahoo/Google toolbars (unless you ACTIVELY use them).

Tools

CCleaner is a free tool that can open up some space and do a little more than msconfig

Message 2 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Try erasing your cookies.

My laptop has been dragging its knuckles after I've done a lot of online window shopping. I flushed the cookies, and I'm back in business.

On a Mac, it's Tools, Clear recent history..., and then select Cookies. I don't remember how you do this on a Windows computer, but it was pretty easy. It was under Privacy or Security, IIRC.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

My laptop has been dragging its knuckles after I've done a lot of online window shopping. I flushed the cookies, and I'm back in business.

On a Mac, it's Tools, Clear recent history..., and then select Cookies. I don't remember how you do this on a Windows computer, but it was pretty easy. It was under Privacy or Security, IIRC.

You can go to Tools, then Internet Options, and that will take you to an area where you can delete browsing history, cookies, temporary files, etc.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

You probably need more memory.  Ever since adding memory to my Acer laptop it's been great.  It no longer make loud noise and doesn't get as hot.  The speed is perfect. 

Message 5 of 9
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're on windows... off the top of my head.. I know there's a lot more but I'm tired, lol..

Built-in things you can do

Windows Key + R.. or Start > Run

Type "msconfig"

There's options to get rid of stuff at startup.

Toolbars, Add-Ons, etc. in browsers often are updated on _every_ call to a webpage, and this can make the internet d-r-a-g.. Disable anything like HotBar, Game bars, even AOL/Yahoo/Google toolbars (unless you ACTIVELY use them).

Tools

CCleaner is a free tool that can open up some space and do a little more than msconfig

+1  (with the caveat that CCleaner can be very dangerous to a box,  if used by a novice who chooses to ignore certain defaults).

There's a whole lot of applications out there that are set by default to automatically check and/or upgrade.  These all run right at startup, and they're competing for the same CPUs and bandwidth.

I upgrade/check for upgrades manually, but that won't work for people who do something other than computer-related work for a living. 

The best idea (IMO) is to boot up about ten minutes before you think you'll really  need to use that box.   The auto upgrade apps will have fought it all out by then. 

Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

You can go to Tools, then Internet Options, and that will take you to an area where you can delete browsing history, cookies, temporary files, etc.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

I did that.  went into tools, internet options, and erased temp files, etc.  SPEEDED right up.  THANKS

Message 7 of 9
Kay_Cee
Regular Contributor

You can also go to the start menu, select all programs, then accessories, then system tools and run the disk cleanup.  it may take a bit of time to run but, it really can make a difference.  Good Luck!

Message 8 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

I would not recommend any of those so-called PC speeder-upper.  Most dork with the registry and cause more harm then good.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.