Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jewelry Insurance Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Jewelry Insurance Questions

Yep, learned all about chipping with the Appraiser.  And, what a Girdle is. Hehe.

I don't much like the idea of being robbed! Though I don't think my ring is something that would attract the attention of theives. If they were robbing me anyway, yeah, probably but not on it's own. Certainly isn't 4.5 carats. Smiley Tongue

Message 31 of 42
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

If I keep gaining weight I'm going to need a girdle of my own

This winter has been TOUGH on me...

Message 32 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are so funny.  Sorry about the winter being rough, but your post was funny!

Well, ring is insured through a schedule on my renters policy.  I am waiting for the paperwork to review it all.  At this point it is what it is and it's may be temporary until I decide what policy is the best fit. It sounded pretty decent though, she said they would replace the ring/stone with what you had before, not just based on price. I'd much rather be able to get a comparable stone based on the specs then them send me to their people with an alloted amount of money to try to find something comparable. That might not have made sense, but I know what I mean. Hehe.

It was more than I thought though. $60 a year to add the ring. We aren't talking about a $65,000 ring here!!

Message 33 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in the same situation back in Sept when my then BF (now fiance) proposed.  We got a brochure at the jeweler about independent jewelry insurance, but they wanted all this personal info on both me and my fiance so they could check both our credit.  I have State Farm for both house and car and have been pleased with their service so I went and talked to them as well.  I ended up getting just a personal property insurance policy thru State Farm on my ring for the appraisal price.  I think it cost like $1.00 per $100 insured or something like that.  That way it isn't a rider on my house (since I will be selling it this year), and they had all my personal info so they didn't have to run my credit or anything like that.  We did get the policy just in my name, but we had the option of putting it in both our names.  The policy will replace my ring exactly as is (with an equivalent diamond) in the case of loss or theft.
Message 34 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's exactly why I went with my renters insurance. Since theyalready have everything they didn't have to rerun the credit and the whole deal. I wonder if we were looking into the same jewelers policy. They asked a lot of questions!!!  I suppose it's all so they can be sure they are not dealing with fraudsters, but geesh!

By the way, congrats to you Jedijennifer!

Message 35 of 42
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

My boss' wife had her engagement ring stolen by carpet layers.  Turns out BOTH guys had criminal backgrounds and one was a rapist.  NICEEEEEE.

He didn't have it insured properly so he only collected $500.  He should have listened to me, but oh no.

Message 36 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Woah, in this case I'd be glad all they did was take the ring. Wow!!
Message 37 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

By the way, congrats to you Jedijennifer!

Thanks!  Congrats to you too! 

Message 38 of 42
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

fishbjc wrote:

My boss' wife had her engagement ring stolen by carpet layers.  Turns out BOTH guys had criminal backgrounds and one was a rapist.  NICEEEEEE.

He didn't have it insured properly so he only collected $500.  He should have listened to me, but oh no.

Seems to me that she can go after the carpet laying company. I would think that a company like that would need to be licensed and bonded, so that things like this are covered.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 39 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodpoint, ByrdMan.  That's just insane...the business definitely should be liable.
Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.