Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average Age of Account question

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Average Age of Account question

@CreditDunce wrote:

As long as you don't cross an integer boundary, it doesn't seem like the AAoA decrease will hurt your score much.  However, if your AAoA is reduced by 3 months, it will be an extra 3 months before you get the 2 year AAoA boost to your credit score.  There will be a penalty for the HP/INQ and for the new trade line.  A rule of thumb is it takes 6 months for your credit score to recover, but it is YMMV.

FICO doesn't care about your credit limits.  It only cares about your utilization percentage.  CLI's will not directly help your credit score.  However, they can make it easier to maintain a low utilization. Higher limits tend to smooth out fluctuations in your credit score.  VS 3.0 and the insurance risk models do give bonus points for higher credit limits.

On the flipside, unless you never intend to apply for anything ever again after this credit card, just go get it now if you can qualify.

The only constant in the algorithm is that time passes, and as such it's best to take any negative (inquiry, reduction in AAOA, etc) as soon as possible as that'll get you healthy the soonest.

What someone posted previously as building a buffer does indeed hold: the more tradelines you have, the less reduction the addition of a new tradeline actually makes.  In my case I'm down to the point where a new tradeline would move my AAOA by about half a month... aka, no big deal, but I'm sitting at 23 tradelines currently which is by no means necessary.

        
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks that really explains it well. Crazy game isn't it!!!

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How does the AAoA get calculated?

I have the following 4 accounts open and the dates they were opened:

1 account opened Sept 2013

2 accounts opened Nov 2014

1 account opened April 2015

My AAoA shown on my credit file is 1yr 6mos, with an oldest acct of 2 yrs 5 mos

So how does this get calculated? I want to open a new CC but I am afraid it will lower my score since it will apparently lower my AAoA, so can someone please explain to me when woud be the best time to open a new acct and not have such a negative impact on my AAoA and score?

thank you all in advance

It's like any average, you add them up and then divide.

There will never be a time when adding a new account doesn't decrease your average age of accounts, and thus exert a downward push on your scores. The more accounts you already have, and the older they are, the less the effect will be.

There used to be, but sadly no longer.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.