Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buckets!!!! Smuckets!!!

tag
Madison
Regular Contributor

Buckets!!!! Smuckets!!!

What is the deal with all these buckets? Either your credit information is good or bad. Trying to put you into another group or buckets is for the birds. If you have low utilization, paying your bills on time, have decent credit lines you should be rated the same as everyone else. If you have some baddies' then over a period of time you will see it impact your score. I get sick and tired of FICO lowering peoples' score because they "Placed them in another BUCKET!". All this does is make excuses for EQ, TU, and EXP to give you a reason to continue buying their services and banks to continue to have excuses to rate jump your CC APR. Come on! Your credit history is what it is. Don't try and confuse the average American who is just wanting to UNDERSTAND his credit score. Why can't they follow the KISS philosophy....K-eep I-t S-imple S-tupid!

Message Edited by Madison on 08-30-2008 07:16 AM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buckets!!!! Smuckets!!!

Without buckets it would be nearly impossible for people with credit histories under say 12 years to get loans at the best rates. Should everyone have to wait to hit 35 before they can get a mortgage they can afford?

FICO scores are not about what you have done in the past - though that is the information they use. They are about PREDICTING whether you will default or be majorly late on payments over the next 2 years. Buckets allow FI to sort people into like groups and determine which of those are likely to have credit troubles and which aren't likely.

Much of the details on the buckets are not public knowledge, so we cannot have a debate on the details. As someone with a spotless but short history, I am glad FI has buckets because I am able to stand out over other young credit consumers and that distance is reflected in the FICO number (without a manual review).

Bucket moves rarely effect people for long, though they aren't fun. Unless you are applying for a major loan in the few months after a rebucketing you should be fine, as your scores should rebound quickly. That is why we often say don't get a lot of new credit before a mortgage loan or an auto loan because it may rebucket you and we can't predict what that will do to someone's score.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buckets!!!! Smuckets!!!

We're not really supposed to understand buckets or how scoring works. We are of the limited few. Keep learning and you can use buckets to your advantage just like UTL. Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.