cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused...How does Score go up when Credit Utilization went up?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused...How does Score go up when Credit Utilization went up?

Hi everyone! Just curious why my EQ and EX score would go up 13 points when my total credit utilization % went up 3%. My TU went down on the same alert.

I have improved my scores from low 500 to mid 600s over the past 2 years, and really focused on improving this in 2017. Would appreciate any insight as to how this happens?

Happy New Year!

Thanks.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: Confused...How does Score go up when Credit Utilization went up?

There are some changes that do not send an alert, I think the score going up was for other reason and not your util.

Congrats on your work to better scores and happy New Year.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you...very possible it's unrelated. Was just checking my alerts and noticed the change. I've learned that slow and steady wins this credit score improvement game and if score goes back down some based on higher utlization I'm not going to panic.Just keep working the plan.

Have a great 2017!

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi HockeyDad.  Welcome to the forums!

I am guessing that you are a subscriber to the myFICO 3B Monitoring product, which gave you an "alert" that you are trying to describe for us.

The alert is describing a way your report has changed.  (In this case, one of your credit card balances went up, it sounds like.)  When an "alertable" event occurs, the MF 3B monitoring product pulls your score again.

The message that accompanied the alert is explaining what the alertable event was.  But there are a lot of events that are not alertable.  What must have happened (with 100% certainty) is that something else changed on your report, either on the same day or in the previous several weeks.  That other thing is what is causing your score to go up.  It's just that this good thing apparently wasn't alertable, so your score wasn't pulled at the time.

Again, it's really important to understand what these alerts are and what they are not.  Most of us assume that when our score changes then MF sends us an alert telling us why.  This is not what the alerts are.  What the alerts do is tell you -- in a very limited set of circumstances, not all the time -- when the report has changed.  The alert is telling you what alertable event happened.

You should congratulate yourself that you are coming to understand scoring well enough to realize that a credit card balance going up would be very unlikely to cause your score to go up.  (The only exception would be if all your cards were $0, and then one card went from $0 to say $50.)

Some people find an "alert" based system confusing and unhelpful, since it cannot be relied on (even most of the time) to explain why your score has changed.  Such people switch to a system like CCT, which enables you to control when your score is pulled or (like me) they just use free tools to get their monthly FICO score and credit reports.

There are many things that could have happened recently to cause your score to go up.  For example, your average age of accounts could have gone from 1.9 years to 2.1 years.  That would have been invisible to you but could have had a definite positive effect on your score.  There are many other possibilties.

Some things are definite gray areas in credit scoring, where nobody knows for sure how FICO is working.  But CC balances are not one of them.  All credit profiles are optimized when having most of the credit cards reporting at $0 and a small positive balance on one.  There's no possible profile that benefits from a higher utilization -- e.g. 5% compared with 2% say.

The folks here can help you achieve the higher score you want but we'll need to ask you questions about how your credit reports look.  Let us know if you'd like to do that.  Best wishes for a great 2017.

PS.  The fact that your TU score went down while EQ and EX went up likely indicates that your three reports do not have exactly the same things on them with the same balances on every day of the month.  The TU score might be reflecting the increase in util whereas the the EQ and EX scores might be reflecting a nonalertable but good change that happened a week ago.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your previous utilization was 0%, raising it to 3% would result in a score increase.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If your previous utilization was 0%, raising it to 3% would result in a score increase.

Yup, I pointed that out.  :-)

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for responding. The information has been very helpful. I learn so much by reading these MF forums and appreciate everyones willingness to help and provide advice and guidance.

Going to stay focused and keep working at improvement. Thanks again to everyone willing to help educate and cut down the learning curve.

Have a great 2017!

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I am hoping you can add some insight as I seem to be running into the same issue. I just checked my alert and I have an alert from each of the 3 reports. Experian and Equifax, both report a drop in my score, 14 points for Equifax, however TU reports an 8 point increase of my score. All 3 alert say they are due to my account balances changing, and all reference my US Bank Credit Card. This card is a new credit card and the only one I have on my report for all 3 bureaus. The credit limit is $500 and the balance showing is $289. However, I must be having the issue with them reporting at odd times, because the balance is actually only $89 and so have made several payments on my card account over the last 2 months, trying to keep the utilization low. I thought having a 30-40% utilization was optimum for a score increase?! Can you give some insight on why one bureau increases my score and the other two lower it all 3 citing the same account balance change. No other changes have occurred on my reports, I checked and essentially the reports are the same. Although Tu always runs at least 20 points higher than the others with Equifax always reporting the lowest score for me. Also, what is the best way to utilize my Credit Card for maximum score increase. Would adding a 2nd card account with a different bank and using that also increase my score even more, or would it lower it? Sorry so many question. I am trying so hard to get my scores up and would love some advise. Thanks!
Message 8 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi, I am hoping you can add some insight as I seem to be running into the same issue. I just checked my alert and I have an alert from each of the 3 reports. Experian and Equifax, both report a drop in my score, 14 points for Equifax, however TU reports an 8 point increase of my score. All 3 alert say they are due to my account balances changing, and all reference my US Bank Credit Card. This card is a new credit card and the only one I have on my report for all 3 bureaus. The credit limit is $500 and the balance showing is $289.
The balance that counts for utilization purposes is usually the balance which appears on your last statement.
However, I must be having the issue with them reporting at odd times, because the balance is actually only $89 and so have made several payments on my card account over the last 2 months, trying to keep the utilization low. I thought having a 30-40% utilization was optimum for a score increase?
No it is not.
! Can you give some insight on why one bureau increases my score and the other two lower it all 3 citing the same account balance change. No other changes have occurred on my reports, I checked and essentially the reports are the same. Although Tu always runs at least 20 points higher than the others with Equifax always reporting the lowest score for me. Also, what is the best way to utilize my Credit Card for maximum score increase.
Optimum overall utilization is probably 5% or less. Optimum individual card utilization is probably 9% or less. The optimum scoring environment is to have one card reporting a small balance, the the other cards reporting a zero balance.
Would adding a 2nd card account with a different bank and using that also increase my score even more, or would it lower it?
If you only have one credit card, yes a second card would help. You should let one of the cards report a zero balance and the other report a small balance.
Sorry so many question. I am trying so hard to get my scores up and would love some advise. Thanks!

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My comments in blue below.

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi, I am hoping you can add some insight as I seem to be running into the same issue. I just checked my alert and I have an alert from each of the 3 reports. Experian and Equifax, both report a drop in my score, 14 points for Equifax, however TU reports an 8 point increase of my score. All 3 alert say they are due to my account balances changing, and all reference my US Bank Credit Card. This card is a new credit card and the only one I have on my report for all 3 bureaus. The credit limit is $500 and the balance showing is $289.
You say that this is a "new" credit card and that it is the only CC you have on your three reports.  On the other hand you must have other accounts, or you wouldn't have a FICO score.  What are these other accounts?
Your sole credit card is reporting a high utilization.  289/500 is almost 60%.  That's bad.  You want to have a very low utilization.  Somewhere in the range of 1-8%.  Given that you have a $500 credit limit, that would be between $4 and $44.
However, I must be having the issue with them reporting at odd times, because the balance is actually only $89 and so have made several payments on my card account over the last 2 months, trying to keep the utilization low. I thought having a 30-40% utilization was optimum for a score increase?!
No.  A 30-40% utilization is far from optimal.  It will make you look bad.
Can you give some insight on why one bureau increases my score and the other two lower it all 3 citing the same account balance change. No other changes have occurred on my reports, I checked and essentially the reports are the same. Although Tu always runs at least 20 points higher than the others with Equifax always reporting the lowest score for me.
No one can meaningfully answer this without sitting down with you and several snapshots of your reports and their scores.  Fortunately you don't need us to do that.  Read on.
Also, what is the best way to utilize my Credit Card for maximum score increase. Would adding a 2nd card account with a different bank and using that also increase my score even more, or would it lower it?
Adding a second credit card would be a big help.  It does not need to be with a different bank.  You will need to use both cards, but make sure that one always reports $0 to the credit bureaus and the other reports a small balance, like $10-20.  You'll need to talk to each issuer and find out when they report your CC balance to the credit bureaus.  They will probably tell you that they do this the day after your statement prints.  If so, then you will need to make sure that you have paid the card down to the dollar value you want it to report as at least 4 days before that statement prints.  You will also need to make sure you do not use the card a week before it prints and up through the day after.
It's really important that you learn how to control the CC balance dollar amount that gets reported to the credit bureaus.  That needs to be a top priority for you.  A number of people here can walk you through that process very clowly if it isn't clear.  You can use your cards a lot and still have them report very small amounts to the bureaus.
Do you have any derogatory items on your reports?  Lates, collections, chargeoffs, liens, etc.?
Do you have any open installment loans?
Sorry so many question. I am trying so hard to get my scores up and would love some advise. Thanks!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.