cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Ratios

tag
SSeawright

Credit Ratios

I am seeking to improve my credit rating. I am focusing on utilization ratios.  I add up all the revolving credit balances on my most recent report. I then add up all the credit limits on the same report. To my way of thinking utilization ratio should be balance divided by limit.  I come up with 12.9%. The credit report shows 26% for each credit bureau.

Why is their figure twice my calculation? Are some of the entries on the credit report not considered ( those over a certain age of non-use) or are there other factors that are not obvious? 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Ratios

Could be that FICO is not factoring in authorized user accounts. Or that you have one of those infamous ~40K cards!

Message 2 of 13
SSeawright

What are 40K accounts?

Message 3 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@SSeawright wrote:

What are 40K accounts?

A revolving account with a huge credit limit, like $40,000 ~ FICO revolving utilization doesn't include them

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 13
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Closed and Inactive accounts are not factored into your utilization.   By inactive I mean accounts that are not being reported by the CCC.

The best way to determine which accounts are not being factored in for you is to break out the calculator.  The math is not that difficult.

If you need your score to improve quickly, one of the best ways is to have one account report 1-9% utilization.  All of the other accounts should report 0.  Any CC that is maxed out will hurt your credit score even if your overall utilization is under control.

Message 5 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@CreditDunce wrote:

Closed and Inactive accounts are not factored into your utilization.   By inactive I mean accounts that are not being reported by the CCC.

The best way to determine which accounts are not being factored in for you is to break out the calculator.  The math is not that difficult.

If you need your score to improve quickly, one of the best ways is to have one account report 1-9% utilization.  All of the other accounts should report 0.  Any CC that is maxed out will hurt your credit score even if your overall utilization is under control.

Closed accounts will be included if they have both a credit limit and a balance.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 13
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@CreditDunce wrote:

Closed accounts will be included if they have both a credit limit and a balance.  

I stand corrected.  If there is a balance it will always be included. 

I also wanted to mention that AU accounts may or may not be included. 

Message 7 of 13
SSeawright

What is the lower limit of High Credit Limit? I have a card with a $38,000 limit but no balance. I assume this would be excluded. I also have a card with a $24,000 limit and a $4,000 balance. Would this card be excluded from the limit calculation? What about the $4,000  balance? Would that be excluded from the balance calculation?

Message 8 of 13
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@SSeawright wrote:

What is the lower limit of High Credit Limit? I have a card with a $38,000 limit but no balance. I assume this would be excluded. I also have a card with a $24,000 limit and a $4,000 balance. Would this card be excluded from the limit calculation? What about the $4,000  balance? Would that be excluded from the balance calculation?

I don't know, but my $24,500 cards are counted.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 13
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@SSeawright wrote:

We aren't certain where the cutoff is with CC's not factoring in FICO 08 utilization calculations. We also don't know if the cutoff is the same for all three scores. With the earlier FICO formulas, TU had the lowest cutoff, somewhere around 30-35K. EX was higher, tho. Your 24K CC and it's balance is factoring in util calculations. Not sure about your 38K CC, tho. At some point this will become clearer as it did with the the older FICO formulas.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.