Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score scam!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score scam!!

On December. 30 2010 I checked my Equifax credit score through 5 different sources that claim to give you an Equifax credit score. All 5 sources gave me a different score ranging from 563-682 and everything in between. Equifax told me that they don't figure the score that it comes from Fair Isaac FICO. I checked my score at creditreport.com, trucreditreport.com, myfico.com, equifax.com and had citi financial check it supposedly from Equifax and all of the scores were way different on the same day. FICO score is just another version of the old shell game, con game. It's nothing but smoke and mirrors and the biggest scam ever perpetrated on the American public. It doesn't really matter what you do you score is going to change, probably so that the crooked credit card companies can charge you %25 interest when they want to.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Score scam!!

@Anonymous wrote:

On December. 30 2010 I checked my Equifax credit score through 5 different sources that claim to give you an Equifax credit score. All 5 sources gave me a different score ranging from 563-682 and everything in between. Equifax told me that they don't figure the score that it comes from Fair Isaac FICO. I checked my score at creditreport.com, trucreditreport.com, myfico.com, equifax.com and had citi financial check it supposedly from Equifax and all of the scores were way different on the same day. FICO score is just another version of the old shell game, con game. It's nothing but smoke and mirrors and the biggest scam ever perpetrated on the American public. It doesn't really matter what you do you score is going to change, probably so that the crooked credit card companies can charge you %25 interest when they want to.

Hello and welcome.

It can be very confusing and frustrating because there are so many "credit scores" for sale that have nothing to do with FICO scores. It's important to know where to get a FICO score since that is what most lenders use to make decisions.

Education is the key and that's one of the things we try and do here. Educate others and ourselves about the often crazy world of credit.

Unless you get your FICO scores from a lender there are only a few places to get one. No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myFICO. I suggest you do an internet search for "myfico discount codes" to save a little money. You can also purchase your Transunion score at www.transunioncs.com. At www.equifax.com EQ will still sell you an EQ FICO score but you need to look for their "Score Watch" product.

The CSR you talked to at Equifax was 100% wrong when they said you could not get an EQ FICO score from their site.

I you stick around here and read and research and ask questions you'll be able to fgure out how to have the system work for you. You mentioned cards with high APR's. Once you learn about credit you'll realize that an APR doesn't matter. It's been a long time since I paid interest on any of my cards and a few have APR's as high as 25%. Once again it's a matter of education.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 26
cdtotten
Established Contributor

In short, remember that there are only 2 places to get your actual Equifax FICO score. Here on myfico.com and equifax.com. Equifax does offer products though that do not include your FICO score, so make sure you choose accordingly.

All the other scores from credit monitoring sites, and "Free" credit report sites are all different scoring models typically not used by lenders. You could pull your score from 10 of those sites and have 10 different scores. However, if you pull your EQ score from equifax (and get their FICO score), it should be the exact same as myfico.com if they are pulled the same day, unless some information posted to your report in the time between when the reports were pulled (very unlikely).

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions!

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@cdtotten wrote:

In short, remember that there are only 2 places to get your actual Equifax FICO score. Here on myfico.com and equifax.com. Equifax does offer products though that do not include your FICO score, so make sure you choose accordingly.

All the other scores from credit monitoring sites, and "Free" credit report sites are all different scoring models typically not used by lenders. You could pull your score from 10 of those sites and have 10 different scores. However, if you pull your EQ score from equifax (and get their FICO score), it should be the exact same as myfico.com if they are pulled the same day, unless some information posted to your report in the time between when the reports were pulled (very unlikely).

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions!

And as I understand it, they've made it nearly impossible to find the link to order their FICO. Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

And as I understand it, they've made it nearly impossible to find the link to order their FICO. Smiley Tongue

You just have to make sure you find the option to buy "Score Watch" which is the same product as myFICO sells I believe. (Could be wrong).

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@MarineVietVet wrote:

You just have to make sure you find the option to buy "Score Watch" which is the same product as myFICO sells I believe. (Could be wrong).

So that's what they're down to? You have to buy Scorewatch on their site just to find out your FICO score? That's sad. Smiley Tongue

Makes me wonder if they're getting ready to do an Experian on us...

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

So that's what they're down to? You have to buy Scorewatch on their site just to find out your FICO score? That's sad. Smiley Tongue

Makes me wonder if they're getting ready to do an Experian on us...

I believe so. Here is their product list:

EQ.PNG

Message 7 of 26
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Come out, come out, wherever you are!

A FICO score purchase is available w/ a report ($15.95) without purchasing EQ's SW version:

http://www.equifax.com/credit-report-history/

Here's how to find it (and it's not easy...maybe there are other ways):

1) Go to www.equifax.com.

2) Scroll to the very bottom. In the small print, next to the copyright, click the link "Site Map".

3) You'll see a link for "Personal Information Solutions". Don't click the link because that'll take you to the Products page. Click the "+" in the box to expand the menu.

4) Like with #3, you'll see "Products". Don't click it but click the "+" to expand the menu.

5) About 3/4 down on the list, you'll see "Equifax Credit Report" as in the link above.

Clicking that link will send you to the page with your full EQ report w/ the option to purchase an EQ FICO score. Very tricky indeed. If you go through the EQ Report on the main Products page, it will offer you a full EQ report w/ their FAKO. I have no clue how to access that page off their Products page. They keep it hidden.

BTW, I may be wrong and I used my free report for EQ within the past year, but I think you have the option to purchase an EQ FICO with your free report from ACR. Not certain though with all of these changes.

ETA...see the post below. Not a FICO despite saying otherwise.

EQ - FICO.jpg

Message 8 of 26
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Wait!!! I cry foul!

If you click the FICO score option on the link provided above, even though it says "FICO", it'll take you to the next page and it says:

EQ-FAKO.jpg

Bait and Switch! Clearly a FAKO.

Message 9 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I believe it was easier to figure out how to split the atom.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.