cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Installment loans "mature"

tag
DraconTesla

Do Installment loans "mature"

I have some baddies mostly student loans and one old charge off of a credit card. I took a loan for a car in April of this year. I was curious if after a certain time it will give a larger boost to my score. I know in some areas there are certain milestones like the 2 years for a Hard Inquiry to come off. I am looking to purchase a home in the next 6 months or so and was curious if I can expect any sort of boost. I have 3 credit cards active on my account. One for 300 bucks that has been active for the longest ... I had it back before my Baddies went bad. One of the other Cards is a secured card I got in March of this year and the other is a Barclay's card I got this month. I am not planning on applying for any more credit untill after I buy a home.

Any opinions from those on the board are much appreciated. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Do Installment loans "mature"

yes they do mature.  For any new account, I belive there is a FICO penalization for the new account plus the inquiry, regardless of AAoA.  You also take a hit if AAoA has droped a year (FICO rounds the months of all acounts divided by the total down to the nearest year, so it might be the same or could have dropped to a lower year).  Also, utilization is scored, although this is a much more insignificant factor than revloving utilization and isn't something to worry about.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@DaveSignal wrote:

yes they do mature.  For any new account, I belive there is a FICO penalization for the new account plus the inquiry, regardless of AAoA.  You also take a hit if AAoA has droped a year (FICO rounds the months of all acounts divided by the total down to the nearest year, so it might be the same or could have dropped to a lower year).  Also, utilization is scored, although this is a much more insignificant factor than revloving utilization and isn't something to worry about.

I never see a penalty for a new account unless it drops me below an AAOA threshold.

This has held true over my last two app sprees.  I haven't seen anything but pure conjecture without any data to support the concept of a "new account penalty" outside of the inquiry / AAOA change, unless it's on the order of 2 years without opening an account as very few members have reached that gardening point while tracking their scores zealously.

        
Message 3 of 9
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

I never see a penalty for a new account unless it drops me below an AAOA threshold.

This has held true over my last two app sprees.  I haven't seen anything but pure conjecture without any data to support the concept of a "new account penalty" outside of the inquiry / AAOA change, unless it's on the order of 2 years without opening an account as very few members have reached that gardening point while tracking their scores zealously.

Possibly it's an inquiry penalty only, but here is some recent data...

Date          FICO scores (EX, TU, EQ)         Credit Report Acttivity

Nov 13           716, 711, 714

Dec 13           707, 691, 708                          Last open installment is reported paid and closed on all 3 CRAs.

April 14           706, 756, 717

May 14           674, 745, 705                          Multiple new accounts including new installment, AAoA did not change

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 9
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

I haven't seen anything but pure conjecture without any data to support the concept of a "new account penalty" outside of the inquiry / AAOA change, unless it's on the order of 2 years without opening an account as very few members have reached that gardening point while tracking their scores zealously.

Haha, are we still talking about installment loans? The remaining principal balance plays a considerable role; 80% debt is far different from 80% paid off, and the scores reflect it.

Message 5 of 9
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I haven't seen anything but pure conjecture without any data to support the concept of a "new account penalty" outside of the inquiry / AAOA change, unless it's on the order of 2 years without opening an account as very few members have reached that gardening point while tracking their scores zealously.

Haha, are we still talking about installment loans? The remaining principal balance plays a considerable role; 80% debt is far different from 80% paid off, and the scores reflect it.

Does anyone have any idea of when the installment loan looks better.  Is it when it reaches 70% instead of 80% etc.  Many people use FHA and have over 95% principal balance.  I know that at 80% there's a boost for those loans.  Do you know when there's a boost for people who start at 80%?

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 9
MrCrabs
Regular Contributor

hmmm, so is this why my student loan gave me a 4pt boost(owe around $2,500)  when it reported for the month and my auto loan($15k) is barely moving the needle? I got maybe a 10pt boost max over the past year and half and the only thing I was paying was auto loan because student loan was deferred during that time. I'll just have to double up on prinipal only payments and see if I get a boost now.

Capital One Platinum | $1,500Discover IT | $1,800Victoria's Secret Angel VIP | $500Citi Secured | $200
Message 7 of 9
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@bdhu2001 wrote:

Does anyone have any idea of when the installment loan looks better.  Is it when it reaches 70% instead of 80% etc.  Many people use FHA and have over 95% principal balance.  I know that at 80% there's a boost for those loans.  Do you know when there's a boost for people who start at 80%?

I think all installment loans start at 100%.   You may have put down 20%, but on your credit report, it just shows the high balance and current balance.

I don't know if there are break points that will boost your score or not. It may be a linear thing.  Or it could be different based on different profiles.

Message 8 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditDunce wrote:

@bdhu2001 wrote:

I think all installment loans start at 100%.   You may have put down 20%, but on your credit report, it just shows the high balance and current balance.

I don't know if there are break points that will boost your score or not. It may be a linear thing.  Or it could be different based on different profiles.

If the remaining balance on an installment loan does matter, it's almost certainly breakpoints as I can't think of anything in the algorithm which isn't designed that way honestly.

Might be able to dig out if there's a bit in the reason codes on it (remaining balance on installment lines is too high or some such) which would point towards it's being graded somehow... though a brand spanking new installment loan didn't move my meter at all so it doesn't sound like there's a straight penalty, and it'd be hard to diagnose whether it's a balance remaining or a tradeline seasoning breakpoint in the data.  Just hard to determine anecdotally Smiley Sad.

        
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.