cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Opening a new Savings account hurt Credit Score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Opening a new Savings account hurt Credit Score?

Hello,

I'm at 800+ FICO score and am thinking about opening up a new Savings Account or a new CD, do you guys know / think that doing so will hurt my credit score and bring me down 70-80 points?

Thanks,

Sjs

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does Opening a new Savings account hurt Credit Score?

Banks will sometimes pull an inquiry for checking or savings accounts. If they do, and with your high score, you may see a ding, but confined to the single digits, I bet. 70-80 points? No way.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in a similiar situation as yourself.  I have contacted both GMAC and Everbank (which I found good rates through Mint.com) and here are the answers that I got...

Everbank:

Thank you for your message.  Yes, we do pull a credit report on our customers that does effect your credit score. The company we use to pull credit reports is Experian.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact our Customer Care Center 24 hours a day, 7 days a week toll-free at 888.882.EVER (3837) or if you prefer, email us at service@everbank.com.

GMAC

Thank you for contacting GMAC Bank. Please be advised that when GMAC Bank checks a customers credit when they are opening a new account with us, that it is a Soft hit on the customers credit report only.

The Money Market Account is a soft hit, but does validate more than the hit for a Certificate of Deposit account.

The Certificate of Deposit account check will check the credit header for name, address, and Social security matches. It also checks for less than 3 months at the current address as well as drivers license validation and date of birth validation.

The Money Market accounts will get a Beacon and Qualifile score in addition to the above checks that must meet the Banks criteria to be opened.

For further assistance please give our Customer Care Department a call and we will be happy to assist you with your banking needs. Our toll free number is 1-866-246-2265. You can reach us Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 9:00 pm and Saturdays from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm EST.

Any thoughts on this myFico members? 

Message 3 of 9
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought that the GMAC communication was quite informative, and professional.

Not to hijack the thread, but I would send the following letter to Everbank:  Smiley Very Happy

Everbank:

Thank you for your message.  Since you pull a credit report from Experian who refuses to allow consumers to obtain their FICO scores, I am sorry but I cannot do business with your bank.

Experian has seen fit to hide FICO scores from consumers. Banks who have failed to have a lack of transparency have been culpable in the current financial meltdown.

Experian and the lenders who use its services are demonstrating an ongoing effort to manipulate the banking and credit system by maintaining policies that are an effort to avoid full disclosure of a consumer's credit worthiness. Smiley Tongue

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by phone or email. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 9
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

CreditAble wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought that the GMAC communication was quite informative, and professional.

Not to hijack the thread, but I would send the following letter to Everbank:  Smiley Very Happy

Everbank:

Thank you for your message.  Since you pull a credit report from Experian who refuses to allow consumers to obtain their FICO scores, I am sorry but I cannot do business with your bank.

Experian has seen fit to hide FICO scores from consumers. Banks who have failed to have a lack of transparency have been culpable in the current financial meltdown.

Experian and the lenders who use its services are demonstrating an ongoing effort to manipulate the banking and credit system by maintaining policies that are an effort to avoid full disclosure of a consumer's credit worthiness. Smiley Tongue

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by phone or email. Smiley Wink

+1 CreditAble

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I dont understand your proposed letter to Everbank.  IMHO, it is harsh and accusatory, and misses the mark.

I dont see how bringing Exp scoring into your transaction with them is at all relevant.  If Everbank chooses to make their inquiries through a hard, rather than soft, pull, I think your beef is with Everbank, not Exp.

Exp has its own business reasons for terminating its FICO scoring with FairIsaac on the myFICO site.  I dont know what they are, but that is not something that Everbank should or would care about for one second.  It is beyond their control.  Exp is not "hiding" credit scores, it is just no longer making them available through the myFICO site under contract with FairIssac.  You can still buy it directly from them.   So why threaten to terminate your business with the bank because of your beef with Exp?

Do you think Everbank gives one hoot about whether or not Exp is still providing FICO scores through the myFICO site?

Message Edited by RobertEG on 02-25-2009 10:28 PM
Message Edited by RobertEG on 02-25-2009 10:30 PM
Message 6 of 9
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

You never have been able to, nor can you now purchase your FICO score through the EX site. You can only purchase one of their FAKO scores through their site. They are not hiding it, they have arrested it.

Everbank could use another of the CRAs. If enough consumers boycott companies that use this CRA, some lenders will change repositories.

RobertEG wrote:

I dont understand your proposed letter to Everbank.  IMHO, it is harsh and accusatory, and misses the mark.

I dont see how bringing Exp scoring into your transaction with them is at all relevant.  If Everbank chooses to make their inquiries through a hard, rather than soft, pull, I think your beef is with Everbank, not Exp.

Exp has its own business reasons for terminating its FICO scoring with FairIsaac on the myFICO site.  I dont know what they are, but that is not something that Everbank should or would care about for one second.  It is beyond their control.  Exp is not "hiding" credit scores, it is just no longer making them available through the myFICO site under contract with FairIssac.  You can still buy it directly from them.   So why threaten to terminate your business with the bank because of your beef with Exp?

Do you think Everbank gives one hoot about whether or not Exp is still providing FICO scores through the myFICO site?

Message Edited by RobertEG on 02-25-2009 10:28 PM
Message Edited by RobertEG on 02-25-2009 10:30 PM

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
Established Contributor

@Junejer wrote:
You never have been able to, nor can you now purchase your FICO score through the EX site. You can only purchase one of their FAKO scores through their site. They are not hiding it, they have arrested it.

Everbank could use another of the CRAs. If enough consumers boycott companies that use this CRA, some lenders will change repositories.

+1 ByrdMan

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

just opened online savings with cap one 2.60% interest rate , they did not pull any credit reports
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.