Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax FICO vs Beacon score?

tag
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Equifax FICO vs Beacon score?

Well, on July 7th I pulled my Equifax FICO score from myfico.  It showed a score of 622.  I went into the bank today to try to refinance my vehicle.  Well, they pulled my Equifax Beacon score and it said it was 559.  So, my question is what is the different between the FICO score and the Beacon score?  I thought the FICO score was supposed to be the one that the banks used?  Can anyone offer any assistance regarding this?

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Equifax FICO vs Beacon score?

The Equifax FICO score here is a "plain vanilla" Beacon 5.0 score.  However, there are other Beacon version out there that are used by different credit industries.  In your case, it seems likely that the bank pulled Equifax's "Beacon Auto Industry Option" score, which has slightly different scoring criteria and gives added weight to past auto loan history.

The link above describes the Beacon 09 model; the Beacon 5.0 Auto Industry Option is probably still being used by auto lenders.  Either way, this is one plausible explanation for the difference in scores.  Another possible explanation is that your bank has moved on to the plain vanilla Beacon 09 version of FICO, which would yield a different score from the Beacon 5.0 version.  However, the drastic difference in scores makes me think that this latter explanation is less likely.

Message 2 of 3
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: Equifax FICO vs Beacon score?

Thank you for the information.  That does make sense.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.