Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Example of Utility affecting scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Example of Utility affecting scores

I had a larger than normal credit balance hit this month.....My scores dropped about 20 points.

With less than 1% Utility I was at a 782, 785 and 787

With 6% Utility I was at a 763, 767 and 767

Not sure if an Inquiry affects the score when it is pulled or after (so the lower scores could include the Ding from the creditor who ran them).

Next month I'll report 1% again and be back up so that is always good!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Example of Utility affecting scores

An inq wouldn't have hit all three scores; just the score on the report that was pulled.

Has the new account posted yet?

Seems like a lot of points for util alone; I would think that it would be for a new account as well, but no telling once scores get as high as yours. Score drops that would be minor in the 650's will drop the oxygen masks for FICO High Achievers.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
marty56
Super Contributor

I havent seen any change in going form 9% to 1%.  I did get a hit when I went to 0% and also for a second CC reporting a small balance.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I took a 20 pt drop for one inq from EX but got it back the next month when one fell off.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess its true that curiosity killed the kitten!
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told he was only going to pull one score, but when I showed up to sign papers he had pulled all three and those are the scores he gave me.

EQ and TU now have 3 Inquiries within the last 12 months and EX has 2 in the last 12 months. (Assuming that the credit check on my new apartment and new job were coded correctly and aren't hurting me(which I don't count in the above numbers)

The credit was just pulled...I won't lose much average age because the account I closed and replaced with this new one was only 6 months old.

Message Edited by 1111mel on 09-09-2008 03:43 PM
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to EX's graph their score changes at 15% util but sure ding you for more than over 4 inqs.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Example of Utility affecting scores-UPDATE

Just ran my scores here on my FICO again...

Utility back at 1%...New Car Account is included in the equation.

TU is 782 (3 inquiries)

EQ is 776 (6 inquires, which include 3 for my new car and 1 for a washer/dryer rental company)

EX is 792 (3 inquiries which include my new apartment in July and my new car in September)

...And the scores pulled at the dealership can't be blamed on the myth of "auto enhanced scores" because my auto loan history is without blemish (knock on wood)

Message Edited by 1111mel on 09-27-2008 12:21 AM
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.