cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO vs FAKO?

tag
Linsys

FICO vs FAKO?

I'm sure this question gets asked over and over again, but I'm still slightly confused...

I generally use Truecredit.com and get a monthy credit score from all 3 CRs. My latest score for Transunion is 676 (the other two update on the 9ths my last scores where in the 650s); however when I setup the quartly myFICO reporting account, my FICO reported as 729!

I'm obviously amazed at this number, because CreditKama shows me at 670 and credit sesame shows me at 693. I can't beleive that my score is 729, because I just applied for a Walmart CC and only received a $150 limit...

Not sure what to think here.. The reason I am trying to get my credit score up is to get a second vehicle (well I already have a second vehicle but I want to trade it in for newer truck) and to get a mortgage.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO vs FAKO?

@Linsys wrote:

I'm sure this question gets asked over and over again, but I'm still slightly confused...

I generally use Truecredit.com and get a monthy credit score from all 3 CRs. My latest score for Transunion is 676 (the other two update on the 9ths my last scores where in the 650s); however when I setup the quartly myFICO reporting account, my FICO reported as 729!

I'm obviously amazed at this number, because CreditKama shows me at 670 and credit sesame shows me at 693. I can't beleive that my score is 729, because I just applied for a Walmart CC and only received a $150 limit...

Not sure what to think here.. The reason I am trying to get my credit score up is to get a second vehicle (well I already have a second vehicle but I want to trade it in for newer truck) and to get a mortgage.

Thanks.

The scores from TrueCredit are FAKOs called a VantageScore and run off a range of 501-990. CreditKarma focuses on TU only and offers two FAKOs: VantageScore  (score would match Truecredit if pulled the same day) and offers a FAKO called a Transrisk score. Transrisk used to be on TrueCredit many moons ago and runs on a scale of 350ish to 850. Conversely FICO generally runs on a scale of 300-850.

CreditSesame uses EX vs. TU and their FAKO is called a National Equivalency Score and that has a range of 360-850.

To confuse things, GECRB underwrites Wal-Mart and others and they don't use a FICO. They use an internal score that tops at 620 and starts at 200 I think. Even when my FICOs were high, I was still being denied cards from Wal-Mart and JCP. Starting at a lower limit isn't uncommon.

What strikes me about your post is that your Vantage was 676 and your corresponding FICO at 729. Remember FICO is at 300-850 and Vantage at 501-990. Usually Vantage is higher because of the scale. All the more reason to ignore FAKOs.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO vs FAKO?

The various scores have different sensitivities to items in your credit report.  It appears you have something which pushes the FAKOs down, but that FICO does not consider so bad.  Also note that there can be some variation between the FICO scores from each of the 3 CRAs, and there is an Auto enhanced version of FICO which some car lenders use.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.