cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High CLs (>$40K or so) don't factor into utilization calculation?

tag
BoSox617
Contributor

High CLs (>$40K or so) don't factor into utilization calculation?

Hello all,

In this thread, a few folks mention that high CLs (somewhere above $30K and $40K) are not factored into scoring utilization http://http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/I-Love-PenFed/td-p/753438/highlight/true

Is this true?  If yes, does this "maximum" CL differ from one Credit Bureau to another?  Is there a resource that details the precise maximum by CB (or does anyone have any personal experience)?

The thread suggests that once a CL exceeds some maximum, it's no longer included in scoring utilization - so if you are carrying any balances on other cards, your overall utilization % will increase.  But what about the individual utilization on such a CL - is that no longer factored either?

I've never heard of this until today!  This definitely would impact my "gardening" approach were I to learn it is true.

Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: High CLs (>$40K or so) don't factor into utilization calculation?

Our resident expert on this is HTSU aka haulingthescoreup.

Oh HTSU where are you???

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Eh? I've been working. Smiley Tongue

I always thought that it was $40K, but then I started seeing posts indicating that at least for some people, it was more like $30K. And I wish that I could tell you which CRA's, but if I knew in the first place, it's long gone.

I used to have a $32K CL on a USAA card, and I'm semi-kinda-reasonably sure that it still factored into util on EQ. But I do remember that my util figures were all over the map about that time with TU, so maybe TU's cutoff is lower. No clue about Experian.

If you don't have a humongous number of cards, you can experiment with letting balances post on other cards and checking the reported util, if that shows on screen 2 as either a positive or negative. Calculate your total util with and without the high-limit card, and see which matches the one on the screen. You can do the same with letting a balance report on the high-util card, of course.

But if a card has "too high" of a limit, it's ignored for both individual util on that card, and also for total, meaning that it doesn't contribute to your total CL, so yes, if other balances report, your util might rise. We've had some irate posts by those with several high-limit cards and only one or two lower CL cards who got dinged for high util.

Sorry, I know that's kind of vague; OK, really vague! but that's the best I've got. You'll probably have to do some experimenting to find out how it affects your scores. Do remember that the TU score here is pretty outdated. If it's the only score with a problem, you might want to just ignore it, in hopes that TU04 has a higher limit.

But they all have a limit somewhere or other.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 23
BoSox617
Contributor

Thank you, Hauling!

I don't have any cards with CLs in this range so I'm afraid that I cannot experiment - I'm just thinking ahead for the future. Smiley Happy

I'll research further and see what I come up with - and hopfully other folks can chime in with their experiences as well.  I was just shocked to read that it is possible to have a non-charge account limit excluded from scoring consideration!  I sure am glad to be tipped off to this now before anything hit the fan down the line!

It appears that one possible way to maximize utilization would be to ensure that one has several cards whose limits do not exceed $30K-ish.  But if one were to carry a balance for a time (say for a home improvement project), one would have to consider the interest rate, utilization %, etc. - so having a card (or several, if one has to split the charge to avoid high utilization on a single card) with a low interest rate (even temporary 0% APR) would be key.  And one would also have to ensure that less than half of their lines are hosting a balance at reporting time to lessen the score hit...hmm. 

I've been learning absolute LOADS on this site, I love it!  So many if-thens to be aware of.  Thanks again, and I'll post back with any info I find.

Message 4 of 23
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Visa card with a 40K CL and I did a balance transfer of 10K. Once it reported, my EQ FICO score dropped 20 points, my TU FICO did not change. Hauling is correct!

Message 5 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@fused wrote:

I have a Visa card with a 40K CL and I did a balance transfer of 10K. Once it reported, my EQ FICO score dropped 20 points, my TU FICO did not change. Hauling is correct!

lol, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then...

Thanks for the testimony. I might just go ahead and combine my USAA cards and close the AmEx. I've been holding off, fearing that it would be removed from scoring once it was over $30K, but as long as EQ behaves, that's good. I just can't get too excited about what TU98 says or does. Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

OP, I just remembered another bit: $50K is definitely removed by all three. HELOC's are treated similarly to CC's in this department, and my HELOC doesn't affect my util (thank goodness, as it has a new roof, a new front porch, hardwood floors, and carpets on it.)

So it seems to get shaky somewhere in the 30's and 40's.

Message 7 of 23
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I know the util cut off for the TU FICO score is the lowest (around 30K), and I'm pretty darn sure the util cut off for EQ and EX FICO scores is 50K. 

Message 8 of 23
smallfry
Senior Contributor

My 35K Penfed card does not figure into my TU but EQ picks it up for utilization. Once PSECU reports I hope to be able to see if EX counts the 35K card in the utilization figure.

Message 9 of 23
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@smallfry wrote:

My 35K Penfed card does not figure into my TU but EQ picks it up for utilization. Once PSECU reports I hope to be able to see if EX counts the 35K card in the utilization figure.

Cool! Can we make a wager on this one, smallfry??? LOL!

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.