Valued Member
TinaMW

How often should I check my scores?

I joined about 2-3 weeks ago. I bought the quarterly monitoring with access to my score & report every 3 months.  MyFico provided my TU score. I went to EQ site and bought my score from them around same time.  I opened up a CC b/c I didn't have one.  I got a little app happy one night and app'd for 2 more cards; this was after going 2 years w/o a single inquiry to my credit. I'm looking to buy a car in next couple of months and I want to make sure my scores go back up. I'm itching to buy it again from MyFico to see how much damage I did with the apps so i know what to work toward for the car.  I was a 670 before w/ both TU & EQ.  

Should I go ahead and buy this month or just wait till end of February and give time for new card to report and make a payment? Or would it be wise to go ahead and buy so I know where I stand right now?

Frequent Contributor
Peach8321

Re: How often should I check my scores?

Since you've just added new cards, buy, pay off, and wait up to 2 months before pulling your scores.  This will also mitigate some of the damage from the inq you received when you applied.

As long as you don't let a balance report on your statement and you aren't late, your scores should go up and probably in 3-4 months you would be good for car shopping.

Hopefully someone else can come along to confirm this.

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}