ficope

Negotiating # of cards with balance when dealing with Charge (Open) Cards

Hi all,

First post!

To start, this site has been invaluable to me and I am very thankful to everyone who has indirectly helped me via sharing their knowledge. Thanks a lot!

With that being said, I have a question that I have not yet been able to find the answer to. I have read numerous accounts of people seeing a slight increase in their credit scores when only carrying a balance on one credit card, while leaving the others at 0% at the time of reporting. However, how does one properly apply this methodology when juggling credit cards and charge cards? As I understand it, the credit bureaus do not calculate open acount (charge) balances in the overall reported utilization %. I realize there are some exceptions such as the TU98, but in general this seems to be the consensus. So, does this mean that if you have a charge card in your credit mix then you are naturally excluded from using this approach?

In my case, I have one credit card (Freedom) and one charge card (AEX Gold). If I were to carry a 1-9% balance on the Freedom and a 0% balance on the Gold, then I'm assuming that all would be well. Yet, if I carried a 1-9% balance on the Gold and a 0% balance on the Freedom, wouldn't my overall utilization % be reported as 0% due to the nature of open account reporting?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Michael

Valued Contributor
my-own-fico

Re: Negotiating # of cards with balance when dealing with Charge (Open) Cards

Util matters, but util is not all. Yes, if the Gold is >0% and the Freedom is 0%, your FICO util is 0%. Still, your score will be impacted, if the Gold balance is something like $10,000. But it beats the other way around!

Are you living within your means?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}