New Visitor
sm9565

New to Message Board - Need Help Increasing Credit Score

Hello

I must say this message board has a great deal of information and can be overwhelming for someone just starting.  But I am determined to improve my credit score.  First thing I would like to say is my report reflects so many different things I don't know where to begin.  I fell on hard times and had a period when I was behind on various almost everything that would effect my report.  I am now in an excellent financial place and back on track.  My approach was to just pay everything I owed on my report.  However, that has not provided any increase in my score.  I also was trying to put myself in a postion to purchase a home and lenders looked at my report and all had the same advice "continue to pay things off on your report".  That I did, and again no improvement! 

I have many collection accounts and charge-off's and I know that is going to be there for a while.  I wish I knew about this forum when paying thing off.  I would have requested a PFD instead of just asking them to update the reporting agencies that the account has been paid.

First of many issues...

I paid a settlement to Capital One on a card that was reproting a charged off status .  My report now says current status is CHARGE-OFF, but in the comments field it says Settlement accepted on this account.  Should the current status reflect paid?  How does a senerio like this effect my score?  I know this is a lot of info for a new visiter but...... I NEED HELP..
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Re: New to Message Board - Need Help Increasing Credit Score

Welcome... The first thing you should do is read the Credit Scoring 101 thread and dispute inaccuracies son your reports.

Try a GW letter for any paid collections or charge offs.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+