Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One hard pull...how much will it hurt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

One hard pull...how much will it hurt?

I have no HPs on there now, but want to get an Amex card. My myfico EQ score is approx 710 and I'm looking for an apt. Should I hold off on aping for the card?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: One hard pull...how much will it hurt?

@Anonymous wrote:
I have no HPs on there now, but want to get an Amex card. My myfico EQ score is approx 710 and I'm looking for an apt. Should I hold off on aping for the card?

A single inquiry shouldn't hurt your FICO that much.   And any potential landlords who pull your credit likely won't care about inquiries as much as they want to see if you have a lot of deliquent accounts or judgements/collections/etc...

Also ~ AMEX usually pulls Experian for their charge cards.  Sometimes they will pull all three for credit card applications.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Amex pulled EQ for opening my account. Recently, they both have done soft pulls for follow ups.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 3 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@bettercreditguy1 wrote:

Amex pulled EQ for opening my account. Recently, they both have done soft pulls for follow ups.

Interesting ~ did they also pull TU and EX when you were approved ?  I've never heard of them just pulling Equifax.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 8
marty56
Super Contributor

I have seen from 0 to 15 points on TU for my credit profile.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My last hard pull (March 26) cost me 7 points on TU and 8 on EQ.

Message 6 of 8
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

14 hards between July of 2011, to March of 2012.   Score dropped 6 points.

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a future landlord pull back in Feb 12, and it resulted in no change, just notification of an inq.  I do not believe an inq dropped off at the same time canceling each other out.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.