cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removed as AU weeks before closing on house - what should I expect?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removed as AU weeks before closing on house - what should I expect?

My dad removed me as an AU on one of his credit cards today (why, I have no idea), just a couple weeks before we close on our first house. I've worked hard to keep my credit high, and to keep it steady during the mortgage process, so I'm pretty stressed about this. Our lender will be pulling our credit again before close, so I'm curious if anyone can give me guidance on how this might impact my credit scores. I'm not worried about it if it's just a handful of points, but if it's significant, I want to know that heading into things. 

Here's some of my information:

EX 835

EQ 816

TU 809

AAoA 6 years 4 months

Oldest Account: 14 years 2 months

Total Credit Limit: $180,000

Credit Utilization: 2% (almost entirely from the other card I'm an AU on)

12 credit cards + 1 AU (was 2 AU before this)

No other loans (mortgage, auto, student, etc)

I'm an AU on one other card, which carries a balance around $3,000 monthly. This, plus $76 on one of my own cards, is the entirety of my credit utilization.

The card I was removed from was my 2nd oldest card (12 years 1 month). It has carried a 0 balance since 2015, with no charges or payments on the card.

Here's my best estimate on where the above factors will sit after the AU account is removed:

AAoA 5 years 10 months

Total Credit Limit: $160,000

Credit Utilization: 2%

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Removed as AU weeks before closing on house - what should I expect?

I wish I had your credit problems.

Message 2 of 8
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous  Are those your FICO 8 scores?

Are they your EX2, TU4, EQ5 scores?

My understanding is that 760 MMS will get you best rates.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I'm pretty sure. Those were the scores provided to us by the lender about a month ago. I have visibility to my EX2 and it matched. 

Message 4 of 8
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I'm pretty sure. Those were the scores provided to us by the lender about a month ago. I have visibility to my EX2 and it matched. 

My guesstimate is that having that AU card removed, that is not your oldest card, nor was it reporting a balance, will have minimal impact your mortgage scores.

If anything the other AU card that is reporting a balance may have in impact on your credit score.

In summary, I think you will be okay. You have a great score buffer to absorb any potential score loss.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for your replies...you definitely helped ease some of the worry! I'll report back as a DP once I see the impact on scoring. 

Message 6 of 8
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you both for your replies...you definitely helped ease some of the worry! I'll report back as a DP once I see the impact on scoring. 

That would be great to read what the impact will be.

Good luck on your new home. Hope to read of your clear to close soon.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt there will be any real change to your scores.  The only factor really changing in my view is your AAoA, so the question is what sort of a score impact is there on mortgage scores from an AAoA drop of 1 year or so?  I wouldn't imagine more than 10 points honestly.

Do you have open/closed installment loans on your file?  If open, what utilization percentage is it/they at?

Off topic, but I'm curious about your EX2 score being 835.  That's one of the highest I've seen, where your other 2 scores are more typical IMO for a strong profile.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.