cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So if inquiry scoring only counts for a year.....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if inquiry scoring only counts for a year.....

So if inquiry scoring only negatively impacts your credit score for the first year why are 2 of my fico 8 scores different?

For the first time since i ruined my credit when i was 20, my TU and EX reports are completly clean. And for once, exactly the same. Both have only 2 inquiries on them from the past 12 months and that is from my mortgage shopping back in August. The only difference between them is over the past 2 years my TU report has 9 inquiries on them and my EX has 18.

Maybe ive misunderstood something along the way about score impact for only the 1st year, but maybe i am to assume that they also look at amount of total inquiries on report as well?

TU score is 798 and EX score is 786.

EQ will be clean come April and is currently at a 699 with 13 inquiries/ 2 in the past 12 months. Has a paid charge-off on it from 2010. Dont know why it has stuck around longer then the other 2. TU deleted it years ago. 

Input is appreciated as to why the scoring difference.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So if inquiry scoring only counts for a year.....

Unfortunately you can't really compare scores between two different bureaus.  Even with identical information on a credit report from two different bureaus, a different score can be achieved.  Usually they are very close though, as is the case with your reports.  IMO, the inquries have nothing to do with your scoring variance between those 2 bureaus.

Message 2 of 6
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately you can't really compare scores between two different bureaus.  Even with identical information on a credit report from two different bureaus, a different score can be achieved.  Usually they are very close though, as is the case with your reports.  IMO, the inquries have nothing to do with your scoring variance between those 2 bureaus.

+1, my TU and EX have the same information (just some different HP dates > 12 months) almost every month there is a 10-15 points difference between them (TU higher).

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great responses.  If the OP is still confused as to the why, it's because the FICO 8 model has been implemented slightly differently at each of the three CRAs.  The actual computer code itself that FICO supplied the CRA was tweaked and changed to suit the vision and agenda and database of each of each bureau.  The changes were small, but they are nonetheless real.

Thus, strictly speaking, there is not in practice a single thing called FICO 8.  There's only TU FICO 8 and EQ FICO 8 and EX FICO 8. 

If the OP thinks that's weird, the changes the bureaus made in previous models were a lot bigger, resulting in actual differences between the maximum score one could get.  At least with FICO 8 a person can really get an 850 at all three CRAs.  With the previous model (FICO 4) you could only get a maximum of 818 at Equifax whereas at Experian you could a max of 850.

Message 4 of 6
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

My TU and EQ are 2 points apart, the same one each 30 day late, same month and year is on both reports. The other difference is AAOA where one bureau has three more trades reporting. Experian for me is a whole different animal and is about ten points less than the other two with the same identical late but less trades reporting.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 5 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Hehe, no correlation to be sure but as of yesterday morning for the first time ever my FICO 8 scores are pretty much identical:

EQ 732

TU 734

EX 733

Which is pretty funny to me as there's a fairly large disparity between the files these days.  Mortgage scores are still 30+ points apart and not in a direction that makes any rational sense to me.

        
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.