Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization for charged off cc...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization for charged off cc...

Does anyone know if the balance on a charged of cc is factored in when determing my utilization for my revolving credit?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Utilization for charged off cc...

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone know if the balance on a charged of cc is factored in when determing my utilization for my revolving credit?

It depends.

- If a closed CC account with a balance continues to report the original credit limit, then both the balance and the CL of the closed account will be used in the utilization calculations.

- If a closed CC account is reporting a zero CL, even if there is a balance on the CC, the card will not be included in the calculations.

- If a closed CC account is reporting a non-zero CL but has a zero balance, the card will not be included in the calculations.

- If a closed account reports a CL that is equal to the balance (balance chasing), then this will be included in the calculations.  This is the worst-case scenario with regard to utilization.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

On my credit report, it says that the cl for the cc was $500 and the balance is now over $1300..So, it is being used in determing my utilizaion. What will have a bigger affect on my credit score, paying off the cc and getting a $0 balance so my score will go up or my score getting lowered because of it being updated for paying the cc?

Message 3 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

On my credit report, it says that the cl for the cc was $500 and the balance is now over $1300..So, it is being used in determing my utilizaion. What will have a bigger affect on my credit score, paying off the cc and getting a $0 balance so my score will go up or my score getting lowered because of it being updated for paying the cc?

I'm not sure what you mean by your score going down for paying this.

If you have the money I would pay this off as soon as possible. Your utilization is through the roof and that should be your first priority. Once that is done you can try to get the lates payments that led to the CO and the CO itself removed early through GW letters.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the OC account is showing a CO with a balance owed, that means the OC still owns the debt, so you still pay the Oc.  COs are  closed accounts, So if you pay it off, you will also lose its CL in your util calculation once the balance reaches zero.

Things may soon change.   Most accounts are referred for collection after a CO, so you may soon see a collection appear on your CR, and then you have much bigger problems.  It is not all about your % util.

Message 5 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Question when was the account charged off ? 

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 7
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

marinevietvet wrote: 

- if a closed CC is reporting a zero CL, even if there is a  balance on the CC, the card will not be included in the calculations.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My experience have been very different in regards to this statement.  I currently have a chargeoff amex card with a balance of $2200 with no reported credit limit. This is killing my fico score especially with TransUnion. This is my only revolving balance on my credit report. My other six revolving accounts are $0 balance. TransUnion specified this particular balance ($2200) in my explanation of what's hurting me. Also my utilization is 63% with both EQ & TU, but I only have one closed revolving chargeoff balance reporting. I have come to understand that ALL revolving balance affects utilization and fico scoring even if they dont report a credit limit.

"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.