Did you mean: 

Where do i get the most points????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do i get the most points????

I have 2 collection accts.with the following info:

Collection Agency 1
Report date: 3/06  Date opened: 1/05 High credit: $357  Balance: $357  Status: Collection
No date of last activity

Collection Agency 2
Report date: 4/04  Date opened: 7/03 High credit: $343  Balance: $343  Status: Collection
No date of last activity

The balances owed on both collection accts. have been paid off.  Will I get more points by having both collection accts. updated to reflect the "0" balance and a "PAID" status which would probably update the date of last activity to the current date.  My fear in this scenario is that the credit bureaus will consider this like a new collection acct. because under the date of last activity there will be a current date which would result in a new hit to my credit scores.  I am not sure how much of a hit this will be or how many points I may gain by a "0" balance and "PAID" status as opposed to leaving things the way they are since one collection acct. has aged 4 yrs. and the other 2.5 yrs.and i have already taken the hit on these accts.  What kind of input can I get on this? 
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Where do i get the most points????

frontratio wrote:
I have 2 collection accts.with the following info:

Collection Agency 1
Report date: 3/06  Date opened: 1/05 High credit: $357  Balance: $357  Status: Collection
No date of last activity

Collection Agency 2
Report date: 4/04  Date opened: 7/03 High credit: $343  Balance: $343  Status: Collection
No date of last activity

The balances owed on both collection accts. have been paid off.  Will I get more points by having both collection accts. updated to reflect the "0" balance and a "PAID" status which would probably update the date of last activity to the current date.  My fear in this scenario is that the credit bureaus will consider this like a new collection acct. because under the date of last activity there will be a current date which would result in a new hit to my credit scores.  I am not sure how much of a hit this will be or how many points I may gain by a "0" balance and "PAID" status as opposed to leaving things the way they are since one collection acct. has aged 4 yrs. and the other 2.5 yrs.and i have already taken the hit on these accts.  What kind of input can I get on this? 

FICO scoring doesn't reward you points for a paid collection. Paid or unpaid your scores get tanked. I know it stinks. These collections will remain on your reports for 7 years after they charged-off. You can try writing a GW letter and ask the CAs to remove them. No guarantee but it's always worth a shot. Here are some helpful links.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Where do i get the most points????

Thanks for all the info.  I'm going to try that GW letter.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.