Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I Love Equifax

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why I Love Equifax

ntkebh wrote:

Also, why are "PAID IN FULL" collections just as negative as "negotiated settlements" or "unpaid" collections?  Is my brain so warped that it seems to me there is a difference?

Lenders don't like to see any financial duress on the applicant's end and a presence of a CA, CO , or a BK are indicators of that. Accordingly, FICO doesn't care about the amounts owed. The fact that it is showing is the score damage. If a lender sees paid or settled CAs, then they would certainly wonder if it could happen to them too.

Message 11 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Why I Love Equifax

+1

It's not whether or not you still owe the amount, it's the fact that you got so far behind that you were sent to collections, with the associated costs to the original lender.

It does help (probably) on manual review if a lender sees that you did pay what was owed, but there will always be that fact that an account in the past got so far behind.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.