cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32.99% AUTO LOAN INTEREST FOR 30 MONTHS!!!!

tag
black_citi
Established Contributor

Re: 32.99% AUTO LOAN INTEREST FOR 30 MONTHS!!!!

He actually said he was going to try and refi through his credit union. They denied him a loan at first because he had no credit but since he has a loan now they said he can refi in about 6 months at a MUCH lower rate. They also said in about 6 months he can get a secured card. Yeah, BHPH places are more known for those extreme interest rates. That's why I told him to go to a new car dealership instead but I see even they hit him hard on the interest. I don't have a CU membership yet myself, but next week I am going to apply and see if I can get a refi through them.

Make More, Spend Less
Message 11 of 30
14IS4
New Contributor

@Creditaddict - At the auto finance company I work at we have a number of loans that are over 40% intrest and that number is in the thousands.

Message 12 of 30
USF813
Frequent Contributor

The way you describe his attitude towards things sounds like someone needs to sit him down and have a face to face reality check. He needs to come onto myfico and read all the horror stories about people jumping into things in their younger years only to find themselves filing bankruptcy down the road. Seriously, he sounds like a ticking time bomb. I'm four years out of BK and I HOPE to buy a new car next year, but i'll be putting down between $7-$9k when I do.

It doesn't sound like he was receptive to any of your advice. If he won't listen to you, find someone he will. If he won't listen to anyone, let him fall hard. That should teach him a lesson.

$8k for a car with 122k miles on it? He works two jobs and wants a BMW? He's not living in the real world.

Message 13 of 30
black_citi
Established Contributor

I agree USF. I guess he wants to find out the hard way. As he said "I'll cross that bridge when I get there".
Make More, Spend Less
Message 14 of 30
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@black_citi wrote:
Okay, allow me to elaborate. Please bear with me. This will be a long post.

My cousin has been looking for a vehicle for about 2 months. Since I have the most experience in buying cars that he knows, he came to me and asked what can be done. I did some research on different cars and I told him his best bet is to wait until he moves back to Texas before he buys a car (We live in Chicago, where he is originally from, but he moved to Texas 2 years ago. He came back to Chicago in March 2013 because of some difficulties in Texas but he has a good job now and wants to move back to texas in June of this year). He did not want to wait to move. I then told him he should just pay cash for a car. He didn't want to do that either. I then told him he should wait until tax time when he gets his return (which will be quite large) and use that as a down payment on a slightly newer but cheaper car. Like a Toyota corolla. He didnt want a small car nor did he want to spend more money taking the bus to work while he waited for his return. He wanted a car now. Plus he wasn't sure when his next off day will be so he wanted to take advantage while he could.

Most people probably would have given up on somebody like him, cousin or no cousin, but I wanted to help him the best I could. All he had to put down was $1500. Not a penny more. Used car lots were out the question so I took him to a Chevy dealership that I brought my car from. He even had the same salesman that sold me my car. I didnt know his credit situation at the time but since he didnt own CC's or had any previous car loans or any loans before I knew he more than likely had no credit.

After they ran his credit, sure enough he had no credit. He thought (as I did as well even though I had a feeling this wouldn't work) that he could afford a $13k car but he hasn't been at his $13.50 hr job that long. The salesman told him he had 3 options. 1. Get a cosigner. That option wouldn't work for him. 2. Put about 4 g's down. That option could work but he didnt want to wait. 3. Buy a car around 5000. This is the option he took.

To make this story a little shorter he picked a 03 Chevy trailblazer with 122000 miles on it. The truck is nice. Its a one owner, local trade so that's good I guess. He put his 1500 down. I wasn't sure about him buying this truck. He had other options but he didnt want to do any of them. He didnt want to leave because there wouldn't be enough time to look for another car. He got the extended warranty (2 years on the powertrain) and his monthly payments are $365 for 30 months. The truck costs $6100 before fees and taxes and the extended warranty was $1700. OTD I believe came out to $8300 or something like that.

The finance company he has is Blackhawk I believe. HIS INTEREST, as you noticed buy the title, IS 32.99%!!!! IS THAT NORMAL?! AND LEGAL?! I never heard of a new car dealership offering such a rate, especially with a down payment. Buy here pay here lots are more likely to do this but I never heard of a new car dealership charging an extreme rate. My interest rate, by comparison, is 13.7%. Yes, that is high also but I am thinking of refinancing in the future.

I didn't mean to make this post so long and I hope nobody is judgemental towards my cousin. I know what he did was silly but he will have the money to pay the thing off in about a month or two (hence why I told him he should wait). Plus now he has credit and if everything works out he can put this behind him.

So my questions are is 32.99% normal for somebody financing an old car with $1500 down with no credit? Has anybody else had a rate like this?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help is MUCH appreciated.

@I would also make it a point to ask him to just "give" you $6350, because that's pretty much what he's doing with this car. It started @ $6100 but will cost him $12450 after it's all said and done. Tough love sounds like it's needed in this case. 

Message 15 of 30
RJT1534
Established Member

WOW! i thought 4.9 was high which I got last summer for my auto loan

Message 16 of 30
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

This feels to me as if the dealership saw him coming and took him for a little joy ride. 32% APR on a 2003 truck is ridiculous! I don't even believe he can refinance this vehicle now considering the age...whats the limit? 7 years older or less than the current year to be eligible for refinance? You live and you learn. I'm just glad you didn't co-sign on this loan!!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 17 of 30
black_citi
Established Contributor

Yeeeesssss maiden_girl lol! Its funny because the salesman did ask me if I wanted to cosign for a newer car. I couldn't because I already had a car loan but even if I didnt my answer still would have been no. Way to risky.

Yeah refinancing a truck that old wouldn't work. I believe it maxes at 7 years With less than 75k miles. He will have the money to pay it off next month.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 18 of 30
enharu
Super Contributor

32.9% on a car loan? Rather than owning a car, have your cousin considered taking a taxi as transportation instead? If he/she doesn't drive much or travel long distances, using the taxi service to and fro on a daily basis might be cheaper in certain cities.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 19 of 30
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Lol enharu...

Interest is calculated daily to. You do the math. It's in your cousins best interest to pay that loan down very fast.

In the credit world, no credit is worse then bad credit.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.