Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSRP+rebates

tag
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

MSRP+rebates

Question for people in the know. So I'm in negotiations for a 2018 RAM 1500 Express quad cab. The dealer is giving a $6000 discount off MSRP, and said I qualify for an additional $7000 in rebates/incentives. All of this is listed on the dealers website. Is there room for additional negotiation to lower the out the door price? Or is the $7k rebates it?
NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Sadie5150
Regular Contributor

Re: MSRP+rebates

Look up the invoice price for truck you're wanting to buy.   I would start your negotiation from there.  The dealer will start from the discounted price they're offering.  The MOST important thing to do is, never answer their question of "How much do you want your payment to be."  Let them know right at the beginning of the process, that your concern is ONLY the purchase price of the truck, and the interest rate you will get.  If you tell them you can afford $500 a month, and your payment could've actually been less that, they will most definitely put you there anyways, as it's a way to get more for the sale.  So, like I said, First, look up invoice.  Second, the ONLY thing you should be negotiating is the purchase price and the interest rate.  When you get to finance, keep in mind, that they will be trying to sell you various things such as extended warrantly, gap insurance, etc etc... Those are also negotiable.  Especially the warranty.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 5
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

How do I know I'm looking at the legit invoice and not some sheet they made up? With the auto dealer discount and rebates its already $12k below MSRP.
NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 3 of 5
Sadie5150
Regular Contributor

Go to    "car-buying-strategies.com."  You can build your truck and it will give you both prices.  It also give you options to input the incentives as well.

Message 4 of 5
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

According to that site, invoice is $29,610 with a deal cost of $30,078. Guess I'm doing pretty well then, with all the rebates my net before taxes and reg is $22,300

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.