Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help!!! So Stressed!!!

tag
Charmante
Frequent Contributor

Need Help!!! So Stressed!!!

I'm in the weirdest situation... And it has me very very nervous, and so stressed I can't sleep... I bought a 2019 Mazda CX-5, for $37,000--financed through Chase Auto @ 5.3% about 3 months ago... I hated the vehicle... TOO BIG... So I traded it in on a 2021 Jeep Compass 80th Edition. After absorbtion of negative equity, etc. I financed $38,250 through Wells Fargo at (they said 3.24%, but turns out it's 10.84%...)... Then about 2 weeks after I bought the Jeep, they said they messed up on the paperwork, to come in and resign a new contract... So I did... And for some reason this new contract is for $40,069... So I guess they added on some more stuff? I don't know...

But here is the MAIN issue at hand... They still have NOT paid off Chase!!! I've had the Jeep so long already that I've tagged it, AND made a payment on it!!!

So I kept calling David Stanley Jeep in Midwest City, OK about why Chase didn't receive a payoff yet... Well, they claimed to have mailed one on August 25th, but said they would cancel it, and reissue a new one, overnight.

Well, finally Chase received it--showed $0 owed... Great!

NOW it says LATE, payment returned cancelled, fee's assessed... It will report late if not paid by Sept. 28th...

I don't know what to do!!!

I can't afford TWO $700+ payments!!!

This car dealership keeps trying to get more money... They said they need $1,700 more, to register and tag the traded in Mazda, but yet, we shook on them covering it themselves... That was actually the deal maker!

I feel like they cancelled the payoff check, to force me to pay them the $1,700 more!

After they already added $1,800 more into that resigned contract... And I still don't know why that went up...

I can't afford to keep spending $2,000 more every other week... I'm so stressed...

Any advice, suggestions, ideals?!

20 REPLIES 20
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Need Help!!! So Stressed!!!

We've seen this issue before. The bottom line, as you've found out, is that it's risky to allow dealers to handle paying off your previous loan.

Message 2 of 21
Charmante
Frequent Contributor

@HeavenOhio So what do I do? And curiously, what are the options other than letting them pay it off? I didn't realize you could do it any other way?

Message 3 of 21
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Charmante wrote:

@HeavenOhio So what do I do? And curiously, what are the options other than letting them pay it off? I didn't realize you could do it any other way?

So sorry to hear of this messy situation for you @Charmante.  Ugghhh!!!  Smiley Mad

I've traded in a lot of cars over the years and I would say that normally, with major dealerships that sell both new and used cars (like the one you are dealing with), you won't have a problem getting them to properly pay off your loan.  I'd be more skeptical with a small used car-only dealership.  Since you mentioned the name of the dealership, I looked them up.  They have a horrible reputation online, so I guess the moral of the story is to try to check out a dealership you aren't familiar with. 

I checked the Better Business Bureau for the greater Oklahoma City area, including the Midwest City location.  Unfortunately, they are NOT BBB certified (go figure!!)  They have a grade of "F" with a score of 1.24 stars out of 5 on 33 reviews.  They've had 63 complaints in the last three years and 28 complaints in the past 12 months.  Absolutely awful!!!   See the reviews here. 

Also see these links  ...  consumeraffairs.com  YELP reviews  Ripoff Report  

That said, this could get even messier if they have a pattern of this sort of behavior.   I would start with a face-to-face meeting with the Finance Manager and the dealership General Manager.  Make them explain the numbers.  If you can, bring a family member or knowledgeable friend who can help you to evaluate their explanations.  You might consider recording the conversation also. 

If you don't get a resolution, you may need to retain an attorney.  You could also contact the Oklahoma Attorney General's office for a fraud report.  (https://www.oag.ok.gov/.)  If you've been defrauded, a police report is needed and could help with legal action. 

I would also contact Chase about the payoff situation.  No guarantees, but it's worth a conversation about the issues you're having. 

To get more attention, you could also file a report on that BBB link, although it apparently hasn't made them change their practices yet.  However, documentation for others could be helpful.  Also, blowing up the business with social media might gain some attention.   Local television stations sometimes love to highlight these kinds of stories with investigative reporting.   They might get you resolution but also put pressure on the business to shape up. 

As for what other options you had other than allowing them to take the car as a trade, the choices would have been to keep your old car until it is paid off or take money out of savings to pay off the loan and get a clear title before trading it.   You could also sell the car outright to a third party.  If you still have a lienholder, I would suggest you sell to a business who can cut you an immediate counter check.  Selling a car with a lien to a private invididual would be more risky and complicated.  Major national used car dealerships including CarMax and Carvana will buy a car without you buying theirs.  Also, I've taken cars into multiple new car dealerships to get offers before I sold so that I could shop for the best trade-in offer.  Many new car dealerships will also make an offer if they need used cars.  The downside of selling a car separate from the new purchase is that you lose the sales tax (if any) savings you get from deducting the value of the trade-in from the purchase price. 

Good luck with this dilemma and keep us informed about how it goes!

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 4 of 21
Charmante
Frequent Contributor

omg... That is disheartening... I had no idea they had such an AWFUL reputation!!! How are they still even in business?! I am absolutely going to file the BBB, and even the police report today. I need to get on top of all of this, before it ruins my credit... I've finally gotten my credit into the high 700's, with limits reaching $25,000 and I absolutely do not want to lose what I've built... But I certainly can't maintain two car notes and just let them keep the Mazda for free, that's crazy... Thank you so much for these leads!!! They are so helpful!

Message 5 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Charmante wrote:

I am absolutely going to file the BBB, and even the police report today. 

FWIW, I might delay going to the police until you have spoken to an attorney.   It might well be that legally they have done nothing wrong, they were slow paying off Chase, but they informed you that they were cancelling the payment before reissuing so perhaps Chase should have been informed.  The charges went up, but you signed the documents etc.  All just good (sleazy) business practice.

The other danger of dealing with a bad business is that they can be quick to take action.   So if you file a police report accusing them of wrong doing that turns out to be legal, they might sue you.   So find out the legal status first.

Message 6 of 21
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Charmante wrote:

The advice we've given in the past is to continue making payments on the old loan and deal with any overpayment if or when it happens.

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim_High wrote:

@Charmante wrote:

So sorry to hear of this messy situation for you @Charmante.  Ugghhh!!!  Smiley Mad

I've traded in a lot of cars over the years and I would say that normally, with major dealerships that sell both new and used cars (like the one you are dealing with), you won't have a problem getting them to properly pay off your loan.  I'd be more skeptical with a small used car-only dealership.  Since you mentioned the name of the dealership, I looked them up.  They have a horrible reputation online, so I guess the moral of the story is to try to check out a dealership you aren't familiar with . 

I checked the Better Business Bureau for the greater Oklahoma City area, including the Midwest City location.  Unfortunately, they are NOT BBB certified (go figure!!)  They have a grade of "F" with a score of 1.24 stars out of 5 on 33 reviews.  They've had 63 complaints in the last three years and 28 complaints in the past 12 months.  Absolutely awful!!!   See the reviews here. 

Also see these links  ...  consumeraffairs.com  YELP reviews  Ripoff Report  

That said, this could get even messier if they have a pattern of this sort of behavior.   I would start with a face-to-face meeting with the Finance Manager and the dealership General Manager.  Make them explain the numbers.  If you can, bring a family member or knowledgeable friend who can help you to evaluate their explanations.  You might consider recording the conversation also. 

If you don't get a resolution, you may need to retain an attorney.  You could also contact the Oklahoma Attorney General's office for a fraud report.  (https://www.oag.ok.gov/.)  If you've been defrauded, a police report is needed and could help with legal action. 

I would also contact Chase about the payoff situation.  No guarantees, but it's worth a conversation about the issues you're having. 

To get more attention, you could also file a report on that BBB link, although it apparently hasn't made them change their practices yet.  However, documentation for others could be helpful.  Also, blowing up the business with social media might gain some attention.   Local television stations sometimes love to highlight these kinds of stories with investigative reporting.   They might get you resolution but also put pressure on the business to shape up. 

As for what other options you had other than allowing them to take the car as a trade, the choices would have been to keep your old car until it is paid off or take money out of savings to pay off the loan and get a clear title before trading it.   You could also sell the car outright to a third party.  If you still have a lienholder, I would suggest you sell to a business who can cut you an immediate counter check.  Selling a car with a lien to a private invididual would be more risky and complicated.  Major national used car dealerships including CarMax and Carvana will buy a car without you buying theirs.  Also, I've taken cars into multiple new car dealerships to get offers before I sold so that I could shop for the best trade-in offer.  Many new car dealerships will also make an offer if they need used cars.  The downside of selling a car separate from the new purchase is that you lose the sales tax (if any) savings you get from deducting the value of the trade-in from the purchase price. 

Good luck with this dilemma and keep us informed about how it goes!

I followed some of the links you provided. This really confused me. Back during the Chrysler bankruptcy they got rid of all dealers who did not have a nearly perfect customer rating. This dealer no matter where you look has a rating so low that I did not even think was possible.

How on earth did this happen? Really good dealerships where closed down and this one survived? I am totally confused over this one

Thanks

Mark

Message 8 of 21
Aim_High
Super Contributor

By the way, @Charmante  ... document, document, document.  I hope you've saved all the auto contracts and anything in writing (or email)  from the dealership.  Record-keeping and getting things in writing that they promise will be very helpful.   I would also keep any text messages and voice mails if there are any. 

I agree that I wouldn't file a police report yet until you clarify that you were indeed defrauded.  But taking your trade-in with an agreement to pay it off, and then not doing so promptly becomes fraud and theft.  That's on top of whether they had any right to renegotiate the contract with you after the sale to raise your fees.  Be careful of what you sign! 

First step would be to try to meet with them and get some resolution before you get an attorney or the police involved.   BBB and social media reviews can wait until you see how they respond to your initial conversations. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 9 of 21
jcooks
Established Contributor

Did you question before signing why it was going from 38k to 40k for the jeep?  

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.