Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please help me!

I'm looking to buy my first car and I have no idea how any of this works!
I'm looking to buy a used car around 14k and have readied a 3.5k down payment, but here is my problem: my FICO is only 597 and three years ago I opened a credit card with a 300$ limit and because I lost my job, it was closed and sent into collections about 4 years ago. I've been working but I haven't made enough money to do anything to fix it until now, but every time I get a hold of the collection agency they give me the run around, refuse to send me anything in writing that says if i pay the debt off that they'll update my report, and insist I pay with a card. (I have an aqauintance who payed a collector this way and they helped themselves to 3x the amount thatthey requested.)

Nevertheless, I need a car and do not have one and I have learned from my mistakes and would like to get my credit back on track now that I'm in a better position to do so. I just am completely new to this and I don't want to get screwed at the dealership! Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Please help me!

Forgot to mention I have a cosigner ( my employer or my uncle, both with credit scores inthe upper 700's)
Message 2 of 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Please help me!

You could probably get approved through Carmax or Nissan, especially with 3.5k down... interest will be a little high probably... but if you want to add co-signer then that should help your interest.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.