Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepayment Penalty

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prepayment Penalty

Is paying more towards a principal and potentially ending a term early because of it cause a pre payment penalty?

I know sometimes creditors will give you a penalty because they know you want to refinance your car with a lower interest rate,

and it they'll lose on their interest.. that makes sense.

But, will i get penaltized for paying back THEIR MONEY FASTER THAN EXPECTED?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Prepayment Penalty

You'll need to review your contract.  Most larger lenders do not offer pre-payment contracts

Message 2 of 4
enharu
Super Contributor

@mikemsceo wrote:

Is paying more towards a principal and potentially ending a term early because of it cause a pre payment penalty?

I know sometimes creditors will give you a penalty because they know you want to refinance your car with a lower interest rate,

and it they'll lose on their interest.. that makes sense.

But, will i get penaltized for paying back THEIR MONEY FASTER THAN EXPECTED?

review your contract, or call that lender directly.

Most lenders do not have pre-payment penalties, but it also depends on who you are dealing with.

If you financed your car with the manufacturer's financing arm, then there's a very high chance of there not being any pre-payment penalties at all.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually went to the Credit Union today and forgot to ask.

But, thanks.. I thought it was a general thing.. didn't know lenders have different rules as far as that goes

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.