cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX AU Eligibility and Blacklist

tag
pianistas

AMEX AU Eligibility and Blacklist

AMEX last month denied the request for myself to be added as AU on an Amex account. I received a letter mentioning the reason was "Previous defaulted account". The account referenced was included in bankruptcy (BK7 Filed 01/18) so I called AMEX and I was told that if I paid off the defaulted account, I would then be considered for an AU account. So, I paid off the balance and then we tried adding me again as AU. The request was again denied. After multiple calls to multiple departments, I was told I should wait 30 days before trying my request again because their system won't allow them to override this decision. I also tried applying for an AMEX account and was denied due to "a prior account was closed".  I am not sure if this means I am still on the Blacklist or not.

1. Does anyone know how often the AMEX blacklist gets updated?

2. To get back in with AMEX, I am aware of the 5+ year mark after BK. However, does that apply to AU as well? AMEX would not provide me with straight answer (I know, I know - AMEX will never admit publically that a blacklist exists)

What do you all think?

Thank you again.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX AU Eligibility and Blacklist

give it 30-60 days to update. If not - send it up to Executive Office

Message 2 of 10
pianistas

Thank you. What is the number for Executive Office? I couldn't locate in the backdoor list. 

@MyDataMyChoice wrote:

Message 3 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@pianistas wrote:

Thank you. What is the number for Executive Office? I couldn't locate in the backdoor list. 

@MyDataMyChoice wrote:

@pianistas , they dont have one anymore, it got abused too much, and the numbers changed and you cant find them.   You have to go thru CS, and ask for recon.  Wait a second...the AU account was IIB??   

Message 4 of 10
pianistas

Ok. 

No. I had an AMEX account (I was the primary holder) that I included in Bankruptcy. But, now, when I was added to another person's account as AU, I was told that I couldn't be added due to my history with AMEX (your typical blacklisting behavior from them). So, to make things right, I decided to pay off my original account that I had included in BK. 

Message 5 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@pianistas wrote:

Ok. 

No. I had an AMEX account (I was the primary holder) that I included in Bankruptcy. But, now, when I was added to another person's account as AU, I was told that I couldn't be added due to my history with AMEX (your typical blacklisting behavior from them). So, to make things right, I decided to pay off my original account that I had included in BK. 

ah, ok. So, with that said...you paying off your IIB account will help the situation.   I'd now wait 60 days from the day they received your payment on the IIB account and confirmed it "paid", and then try the AU thing again.  That will give the system time to update and a small breather from the activity from you on both accounts.  You will not be able to apply for your own account till 5 yrs plus 1 month post DC.  Their BK policy.  I was an AU at 4 years post DC, and then got my own a year later. Also, whats your EXP FICO score?

Message 6 of 10
pianistas

Makes sense.   

FICO for Experian is 676. 

Message 7 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@pianistas wrote:

Makes sense.   

FICO for Experian is 676. 

OK, thats fine.  Just chill with Amex for 60 days, and I think you will have a much better outcome to be added for an AU. 

Message 8 of 10
Mark12
New Visitor

Did you reapply? What was the outcome?

Message 9 of 10
pianistas

I did reapply after 30 day mark I believe and it went through. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.