Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan before discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto loan before discharge

So i was discharged on December 9th from chapter 7. I had to get a new car in November before my discharge. I hit a deer and the car wasnt worth fixing. I got financing through Westlake Financial. They have it on my credit report as included in my bankruptcy with a $0 balance. They are not reporting my monthly payments. I called them and they said it will stay that way for the life of the loan, and they cannot send me monthly bills as they cannot attempt to collect payment on it. So my question is can I just tell them to come get the car without them coming after me for the remaining balance of the loan? I really need to get a loan that reports monthly so I can rebuild my credit. I am looking to buy a house in a few years. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Auto loan before discharge

@Anonymous wrote:

So i was discharged on December 9th from chapter 7. I had to get a new car in November before my discharge. I hit a deer and the car wasnt worth fixing. I got financing through Westlake Financial. They have it on my credit report as included in my bankruptcy with a $0 balance. They are not reporting my monthly payments. I called them and they said it will stay that way for the life of the loan, and they cannot send me monthly bills as they cannot attempt to collect payment on it. So my question is can I just tell them to come get the car without them coming after me for the remaining balance of the loan? I really need to get a loan that reports monthly so I can rebuild my credit. I am looking to buy a house in a few years. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Honestly, this doesn't make any sense.  You totally lucked out.   Your car was totaled and you don't have to pay for it, and you got the loan before discharge.  I mean talk about good luck.   You will no doubt get another car loan (at some outrageous interest rate), but you can get a shared secured installment loan to show an installment payment history.   I'm sorry your car got trashed but you are very lucky.

Message 2 of 3
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Auto loan before discharge

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly, this doesn't make any sense.  You totally lucked out.   Your car was totaled and you don't have to pay for it, and you got the loan before discharge.  I mean talk about good luck.   You will no doubt get another car loan (at some outrageous interest rate), but you can get a shared secured installment loan to show an installment payment history.   I'm sorry your car got trashed but you are very lucky.

I'm sorry, I didn't reat your post carefully.   Yes, tell them to come get it.  You are off the hook and the trashed car is their problem.  That really was a "lucky strike."  

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.