Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto payment help please!

tag
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Auto payment help please!

Hi everyone! I filed bankruptcy officially on Aug 3, 2018. 341 scheduled for Aug 30th. Notices were sent out to every creditor in regards to my bankruptcy. I posted everyone from car insurance to amazon prime membership no joke. I was under the impression that these should have stopped all auto payments. Unfortunately I forgot to check on my insurance with Geico and they did not stop it. Payment was scheduled for 8/16/2018. I went into my online account on the 15th and changed my banking info as I had emptied old account and moved to a pre paid debit account. They still sent this payment out and caused my account to overdraft with a nice $28 fee. I spoke with there chat reps in regards to this and they are reluctant to reimburse me for the expense which I believe should be done. I explained I had filed bankruptcy on the 3rd and this should have stopped all payments including the fact I changed my banking info the day before payment was scheduled. They informed me when I file bankruptcy they don’t get notice, which is a lie as their listed in my petition. They also informed me they needed 3 days notice to change payment as they send it early to guarantee it clears by the 16th. Do I have a leg to stand on and do anything about this? My mortgage company did the same thing to me, they were happy to reimburse the $28 fee though..

Sorry for the run on!
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto payment help please!

Car insurance isn't exactly a "debt". I don't think bankruptcy is going to change it. 

Message 2 of 7
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Depends how one looks at it. I would consider it a “debt” due to the fact your premium is in a lump sumyou just make monthly payments to. Reading through the bankruptcy stuff it looks like it should have still put a stop to any auto payments whether mortgage or auto insurance?
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea, but you have to have car insurance. When I filed my Ch13 I still had to pay for car insurance. That never stopped. It's not a debt. It's more like a power bill than a credit card balance. Bankruptcy isn't going to make that go away.

Message 4 of 7
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

I understand what your saying as in it’s a necessity as is electric water etc. I was able to claim my utilities though as well due to building quite the back power bill with Alliant. Not a huge deal, just $28 I could use elsewhere.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they didn't take the payment, your insurance would be cancelled. Are you driving the car?

Message 6 of 7
sccredit
Valued Contributor

My bankruptcy had zero effect on my auto pay with Progressive.  You can discuss with your attorney but I don't think you'll be getting your $28.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.