Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

@Anonymous wrote:

Are the Credit Karma scores higher or lower than the real FICO scores? 

Higher. My Credit Karma scores are 718/723 TU/EQ. My FICO score from Discover & BoA is 674. Folks say lenders almost never use anything but FICO, but a year ago when I got a car loan from a credit union I asked the loan offficer what my credit score was and she told me 704 - that matched my Credit Karma score.  

Message 431 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

@stinastina wrote:

ConeyJ wrote: 

Mine have been deceptively higher.

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Higher. My Credit Karma scores are 718/723 TU/EQ. My FICO score from Discover & BoA is 674. Folks say lenders almost never use anything but FICO, but a year ago when I got a car loan from a credit union I asked the loan offficer what my credit score was and she told me 704 - that matched my Credit Karma score.  

Well that stinks, but either way, I'm not overly concerned. I have my one Cap 1 account, I'm content to use that for now.

I'm not planning on trying to open any new accounts for a while, but I'd like to set up a game plan for my future. Barclays, Discover? any suggestions? 

Down the road I'll probably look at one of the FICO plans so I'll have accurate scores. 

Message 432 of 1,427
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@stinastina wrote:

ConeyJ wrote: 

Mine have been deceptively higher.

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Well that stinks, but either way, I'm not overly concerned. I have my one Cap 1 account, I'm content to use that for now.

I'm not planning on trying to open any new accounts for a while, but I'd like to set up a game plan for my future. Barclays, Discover? any suggestions? 

Down the road I'll probably look at one of the FICO plans so I'll have accurate scores. 

Start a rebuild journey thread and I am sure a lot of us would help you out. Most of us come to this thread to see what cards are BK friendly Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 433 of 1,427
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

What about the Fred Meyer Visa. Underwritten by US Bank.  Also interested in the Zales  and Macy's card. BK is 3.5 years old now 

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 434 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just read the entire Thread.

Incredible contributions from so many helpful and kind participants.

I have taken many notes and action steps applicable to my specific situtation.

Thanks,

Chapter 13 Dude :-)

Ch 13 Paid in Full:  03/29/16
Ch 13 Discharged: 05/03/16

* waiting on Trustee's Final Report in the "mail"

03/17/16 Fico 8 Scores: EQ 546, TU 501, EX 548
05/05/16 Fico 8 Scores: EQ 553, TU 523, EX 548

Message 435 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and good luck on your repair journey!

Message 436 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 437 of 1,427
Namaste7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I Filed Ch 7 Bk Oct 2015 (just me, not my wife), Discharged Jan 2016.

I was AU on my wife’s cards, small CL’s (24k total), high usage, but after I finally got a job, we were able to pay down those from 98% usage to 6% and by this June it will be Zero. She and they were not part of the BK and by paying those off, it sent my score up from  397 (TU)  and 413 (EQ) in July 2015 to my current CS 707 (TU) and 723 (EQ) (the bk filing alone gave my score a 50+ point bump)  

In Jan 2016 (two days after discharge), as a lark, I applied to Cap 1 (IIB) shocked that I was approved for Plat MC (3k CL) (I’ve been using it, it gets paid in full when the charge appears on the website).  I then tried Discovery, denied; Barclay’s, denied; State Farm, denied.  So I decided to park it for a while.

Trying to figure out the next steps.  Discover Secured? BofA secured (IIB)? Try Barclay’s again in July /August?  From reading here I’ll try for a Cap 1 CLI in June? Any suggestions? 

This is all personal opinion and YMMV. You'd probably be a prime candidate for the 700 FICO in 24 months (find the thread in this subforum). That journey may be a great way to rebuild.

To your specific question:

Discover - Do not reapply until you have at least 2-3 accounts reporting with 12 months history but definitely not withiin 91 days of your last denial.  

Barclay - Prior data points show others being approved less than 12 months post D/C as long as some oher positive history is reporting.

Capital One - Yes, you can try for CLI after third statement and you'll probably get an auto increase at the fifth statement cycle. 

BofA - If you have a banking relationship with them, that is a positive variable. However, if you IIB'd them, it may be increasingly difficult for that secured card to ever be eligible for a graduation. I would only go this route if you feel very strongly about rebuilding a relationship with them. It may take many years for them to offer you a secure product due to the former IIB. There is a secured card thread that contains a ton of valuable data points. The 700 FICO in 24 months does not support the secured card route approach. However, someone people may value certain banking relationships and secured card can be a gateway to a long term relationship. 

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 438 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxdoc wrote:

This is all personal opinion and YMMV. You'd probably be a prime candidate for the 700 FICO in 24 months (find the thread in this subforum). That journey may be a great way to rebuild.

To your specific question:

Discover - Do not reapply until you have at least 2-3 accounts reporting with 12 months history but definitely not withiin 91 days of your last denial.  

Barclay - Prior data points show others being approved less than 12 months post D/C as long as some oher positive history is reporting.

Capital One - Yes, you can try for CLI after third statement and you'll probably get an auto increase at the fifth statement cycle. 

BofA - If you have a banking relationship with them, that is a positive variable. However, if you IIB'd them, it may be increasingly difficult for that secured card to ever be eligible for a graduation. I would only go this route if you feel very strongly about rebuilding a relationship with them. It may take many years for them to offer you a secure product due to the former IIB. There is a secured card thread that contains a ton of valuable data points. The 700 FICO in 24 months does not support the secured card route approach. However, someone people may value certain banking relationships and secured card can be a gateway to a long term relationship. 

After doing more reading here, I PC'ed my Cap One Plat to QS, then a few days later requested a CLI increase, which was granted (a small one). Thinking I was at the end of my credit good luck, I was going to stand put, but was told that I should apply for a Cap One QS1, which I did. Approved for that with a decent CL. I was going to do a Credit rebuilder load, but going to hold off on that for a bit. With 15 year old vehicles, a "new" car might be in the future. That would mean loan, I could do that with the wife as co signer (excellent scores). I have been reading  700 FICO in 24 and along with other threads, have been guided accordingly. This Board is such an invaluable resource of do's and especially don't's.  

As for Barclay's and Discover:

I'm really happy where I am right now, I have two cards more than I thought, or ever believed I would or could have. I will use both of them a lot. Always paying them off as I go. 

I've been reading where I could pull the trigger on both Barclay's and DIscover in a month or two, but I think I'm going to stand put until Jan 2017 or the one year mark. That would give me 11 months on one TL and  6 months on the other. 

BOA and Chase, While I'd love to get back with them, as badly as they got burned (on CC and Credit Lines, I had two auto Loans that were PIF), I'm thinking if I do apply for anything with them, they would send a rep to my home just to laugh at me in person. I think I'll hold off on that dream for a real long time. 

Message 439 of 1,427
Namaste7
Established Contributor

ConeyJ, you are off to an excellent start and once those two card develop history, your scores will probably rebound well into the 700s in record time. Good luck in your rebuild and keep reporting your progress!!

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 440 of 1,427
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.