Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

I was lucky.

My wife and I had separate credit lives, meaning we were never co applicants on anything, cards, the cars, the house.  This was because when we got married her credit was in the trash. When I got hurt, burned though our savings and my credit, she had one or two cards, with lower CL and balances, which we always struggled to pay and on time.

Those cards saved our lives at times, clothes for the kids, some food on the table (the very, very dark times) and as an AU gave me a bit of a head start.  Her credit has improved drastically and as a result I carry cards (AU) from banks that would only laugh at me. 

Message 441 of 1,427
daveg38
Established Contributor

For those that are reading this who may entertain applying for Capital One card, maybe I can save you time.

Prequalifications are supposed to be both internal (within Capital One's system) and soft pulls.

That said, I looked over my reports today (Mod Cut-This method is taboo on myFico, please refrain from posting it in the future) and noticed NO soft pulls from Capital One over the last 3 months, and I have actually checked the site pretty frequently over the course of my bankruptcy. This is an early indicator that I am probably blacklisted.

Just trying to save a brother or sister some time...but in a world where nothing is "one size fits all" anymore, YMMV.

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 442 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's my timeline with Post-Discharge credit cards:

2 weeks: First Premier $300 limit (now closed)

5 months: local credit union $500

7 months: Barclaycard Priceline $1100

9 months: Barclaycard Apple Rewards $1500, Capital One Unsecured Platinum $1000

10 months: Barclaycard Rewards $1500

12 months: CapitalOne Quicksilver One Mastercard $500

14 months: CapitalOne VentureOne Visa Signature $5,000 limit

Funny thing is that I burned Capital One in Bankruptcy. I applied for one right out of bankruptcy, and was only denied because they have a written policy of making you wait 12 months after you have a charge off with them. So if you burn Capital One, they'll take you back, but you have to wait until a year after they gave up on you. It's even in the terms of when you apply for credit,.

Message 443 of 1,427
daveg38
Established Contributor

That's where I am totally confused.

You said one year from CHARGEOFF. Not BK.

I got charged off by Cap1 in 2014. Filed BK on them in 2016.

So which is it - a year from chargeoff, or 1 year from BK?

Message 444 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's my timeline with Post-Discharge credit cards:

2 weeks: First Premier $300 limit (now closed)

5 months: local credit union $500

7 months: Barclaycard Priceline $1100

9 months: Barclaycard Apple Rewards $1500, Capital One Unsecured Platinum $1000

10 months: Barclaycard Rewards $1500

12 months: CapitalOne Quicksilver One Mastercard $500

14 months: CapitalOne VentureOne Visa Signature $5,000 limit

Funny thing is that I burned Capital One in Bankruptcy. I applied for one right out of bankruptcy, and was only denied because they have a written policy of making you wait 12 months after you have a charge off with them. So if you burn Capital One, they'll take you back, but you have to wait until a year after they gave up on you. It's even in the terms of when you apply for credit,.

I guess UMMV, but IIB Cap One and was approved 3 weeks after DC. They have been very, very BK friendly. 

Message 445 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a charge-off before my bankruptcy was finalized. Maybe that's why they made me wait a year after their write off.

Message 446 of 1,427
daveg38
Established Contributor

Although "YMMV" always applies, it would be helpful to know Capital One's 'shtick' when it comes to blacklists and denials out of CH7.

We know that people are getting blacklisted for years. Some get back in three weeks after CH7.

There's no possible way Capital One could play 'favorites' (unless your Samuel L Jackson).

I wonder if a nicely formatted letter to Dickey F's office would get one off the blacklist.

Message 447 of 1,427
Challenger708

Here's something surprising to me:

I filed CH.7 March 2015 Discharged July 2015. Just did a prequalified for Capitol One Card, which I burned them on a car loan and credit card. So for me I'm at 10 months post bankruptcy discharge. ALSO, I was just approved for the Discover It Card($1,500). Pretty excited, I thought it was an error lol So I'm not sure what the time frame is on any of these credit cards I been looking though on this thread. Seems like it just varies. Wish I could post a pic of the approval
Message 448 of 1,427
Scupra
Super Contributor

@daveg38 wrote:

Although "YMMV" always applies, it would be helpful to know Capital One's 'shtick' when it comes to blacklists and denials out of CH7.

We know that people are getting blacklisted for years. Some get back in three weeks after CH7.

There's no possible way Capital One could play 'favorites' (unless your Samuel L Jackson).

I wonder if a nicely formatted letter to Dickey F's office would get one off the blacklist.

We would all love to know beleive me Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 449 of 1,427
Abanomi24
Established Member

Posted this elsewhere, but I think it applies here as well:

Approved just now for BofA Cash Rewards with $1K CL.  Exactly 3 years and one month from BK discharge.  Denied at 2 years and 1 month and not offered the secured card deal at that time.  Followed most of the recommendations in this thread and a few others.  You can read my entire bankruptcy story posted last year in a previous post in the BK forum.

CapOne Venture $10,000 | CapOne QS $3,000 | CapOne Spark $4,000 | Discover IT $3,500 | Barclays NFL $4,000 | Barclays Rewards $3,000 | About 5 Store Cards | Total CL $38,000

EQ FICO 688 | TU FICO 709 | EX FICO 713

Never a late payment, always pay balances in full after statement posts.  Usually under 5% utilization, never over 9%.  Credit Builder loan secured by CD from local CU for 1 year and $1,000 in first year of BK.  No secured cards at any point.

Message 450 of 1,427
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.