Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Approval Before Discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Approval Before Discharge

I applied for a Capital One credit card just to see what would happen, and I was approved for a $300 limit even though I have not yet received my discharge and I feel like this could cause some issues.
Has this happened to anyone else?
I know I probably shouldn’t have applied, that was a pretty stupid thing to do.
I’ve already had my 341 meeting, paid all my filing fees, and the teustee’s Report of No Distribution has already been entered in PACER.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Approval Before Discharge

I wouldn't worry about it. Others will get on and say the trustee could have an issue with it but you dont have to have permission in a chapter 7 to get new debt. My attorney told me not to get debt till after discharge if I could help it. It's always better to be safe than sorry but you've already done it. So, go with it.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It probably wasn’t the best idea but I was just wondering if the trustee would file a motion to dismiss for bad faith or something like that, it sounds like from what I’ve read it’s not smart but also not fatal.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nah, if hes already asked to be released. Hes on to other fish in the sea.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

He has, it was put into PACER a the day after the 341 meeting.
Message 5 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Its hindsite now. If you could have waited. Some not all get a score increase because you have no more debt. It could have been a higher SL but we wont know since you pulled the trigger. For others. Wait at least 60 days after DC to apply. Like I said your score may rise and get better SL's and lower APR's. But as we say YMMV. Congrats!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received it today. I put a few charges on it but won’t go crazy.
$300 unsecured. I pretty much only bought stuff that I have the money on hand to repay. Just want to build some credit up.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just figured out how to get the thumbnail of it on posts.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I applied for a Capital One credit card just to see what would happen, and I was approved for a $300 limit even though I have not yet received my discharge and I feel like this could cause some issues.
Has this happened to anyone else?
I know I probably shouldn’t have applied, that was a pretty stupid thing to do.
I’ve already had my 341 meeting, paid all my filing fees, and the teustee’s Report of No Distribution has already been entered in PACER.

I did this exact same thing. Got my foot in the door after 341 but before discharge, approved for the $300 like you with credit steps, then after 6 months (if i remember correctly) of paying it down to $5 every statement i got the increase to $500. Once you discharge is in the past you can reapply for a card that is not in the 'low bucket' of never growing. The good part of this is that you will have a relationship with Cap1 so you can get a second card with them in 6 months (which is what i did). 

Cap1 never asked me anything and the BK court never said anything so you hsould have no issues.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the app it says if you make five consecutive payments on time, you’re eligible for a credit limit increase.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.